Genius will not replace sisters iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Feb 12, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

We have been to the apple store 4 times now and he wont replace it. Her iPhone has horrible WIFI problems, battery and randomly shuts off and on by itself. Reset the entire phone, set up as new, everything but they refuse to replace. Is there anything else we can try ?

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Try a different apple store.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did they give you a reason? Is there liquid damage?

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Definitely try a different Apple store, I have had bad luck with some Apple stores in the past. It could just be the Genius that you were dealing with, so just try again. If all fails, call Apple, and they will ship you a replacement phone right away, and you just drop your old in the in the box and send the old one back off to Apple.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple tends not to issue a replacement unit unless you/they can reproduce the issue. If the genius employee plugged in the iPhone to his/her computer and their log shows that everything is is working fine, then their is not much they can do.

If you say your sister's iPhone is having WiFi issues, what are the issues?

At any point, did you/the genius log on to the store WiFi, and did the issues continue?

You say the iPhone has battery problems, what are the problems?

Unless you can demonstrate an actual issue, they won't replace the phone.

6. AndrewR23, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

No liquid damage. 4 different people have just said there is nothing wrong with the phone*. I kept saying at MY house, the phone has horrible wifi while me (brother) has perfect wifi, ect ect. I will try your way, by contacting apple. So they just send me another phone then i send mine back ? how does that work? i cant find a page that explains it

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I haven't done this since my iPhone 3G, but they do take a credit card number just in case you don't send the old iPhone back. 1-800-MY-APPLE is the number you need to call and just ask for Technical Support.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No, I don't believe that is true.

You have to send them the phone, yes, but you have to request a temporary unit (at a fee) wile they inspect the phone you sent them. If they determined that the phone you sent them has nothing wrong with it, they will ship it back and request their loan unit back. I remember this was the case when the first iPhone came out, but things could have changed and I could be wrong (I will try to verify this).

Update
    http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#repair7

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ya im just going to keep trying. They cannot keep denying me. The phone has obvious problems and unless they come out to my house, they wont know. Of course the wifi is strong and perfect at the apple store, its the freakin apple store.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not try to be rude, but maybe its the home router thats the issue, not the iPhone.

whats the issue the iPhone is having with WiFi?

If you can't reproduce the issue in the store, then maybe using a video camera (phone with a video camera), record the issue the phone is having and show it to them. All they need is some evidence to back up your claim.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I have to agree here. If the phone is having issues with Wifi one should be able to reproduce them anywhere with Wifi. I'd personally recommend trying to restore both your home router and phone before trying again.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Are you with Verizon by any chance? I have had problems with phones randomly shutting off/restarting and they are usually pretty good about replacing them, not sure how they are going to handle phones from Apple though since they are also a distributor and provide service.

13. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Its not the home router bc my iphone 4 wifi is perfect, my sisters has low wifi. Also, the phone randomly shuts off and on. AT&T

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Again, have you tried to restore it? The random restarts seem like they could be fixed by that. Note that the Genius always checks to see when you last restored your phone as a new phone. Just took mine the other day songhey could replace the broken vib motor.

15. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes i have reset, set up as brand new for her. Just gonna try a couple more times, but she is pretty angry. The genius today did not even run tests, just looked at it and said its fine...by looking at it.... I asked for manager but didnt get anyone after a 20 minute wait. Maybe I will bring my dad in who gets angry very fast haha.

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Good luck, I'd strongly recommend against showing any attitude whatsoever. They have the last say and there's nothing wrong with sucking up and networking, it can get you far in life you know. They'd probably send you home empty handed just to spite you if you irritated them. Next time make sure to just have a conversation with the Genius while he's diagnosing the phone.

17. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

True, I cant see them saying no again after 5 times. We have applecare warranty. I mean in June I had the chance to get a replacement because my screen was yellow in the corner. I ended up saying no however

and now for a serious issue, they wont give my sister one.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What type of router do you have (model) and have you reset the router to rule that out as a culprit.

The router, how many devices are using that router? because some are not designed to handle more than 10 (wirelessly).

Do you live in an area where their are a lot of homes/apartments in close distance from each other? Maybe try changing the Radio Channel to a different channel. (their are 11 total channels, and if you and your neighbors are all on the same channel, that can cause interference).

Their are so many factors than can contribute to the problem, and taking your dad to the Apple Store so that he can get mad is not going to help resolve anything. Part of troubleshooting is trying to find out where the issue is.

19. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I will try this too, thank you.

thank you all for helping and responding fast too.

20. ryno2292 macrumors member

If you can't get anywhere with the Apple store give Apple support a call or have them call you, and see what they have to say. I just called them last week because my home button wasn't working right. After explaining my problem the guy I talked to offered me an advanced replacement, no charge. I had a brand new phone at my door the next day, and Monday I'll send my old phone back to Apple.

21. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Can you show me who you called or how this works? what number is that?

22. JediMeister macrumors 68040

From apple.com/support/contact:

Attached Files:

23. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Every time I have had a problem with my iPhone, I simply have taken video using my digital camera. Because my nearest Apple store is about an hour and forty five minutes away, this was the safest bet. If you are really having issues, just take a short video with a digital camera or use another cell phone. Every time I have done this, the geniuses agreed this was proof enough, and that there was a problem (even if they could not verify it themselves).

I've never done over the phone support, but I do know of a friend or two who has done this, and there was never a problem with this either. You should be fine either way.

24. ryno2292 macrumors member

Yeah, here's the easiest way. Go to the link I put at the end here, put your serial number in and follow the steps from there. It will ask you to explain the problem you're having, etc. Then either choose to call them or set up a time for them to call you.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

25. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

here is how the Applecare replacement works. I had it done about 6 months ago.

you call them tell them the problem. If they see fit they will offer to replace the phone with one of 2 options:

1. they will send you a box and label. send them the phone. Once they get it they will determine warranty status then send you out your replacement. If there is anything that disqualifies warranty they will contact you to tell you and have then option of having it returned or doing an out-of-warranty replacement for a fee.

2. (advance replacement) You give them a CC# they put a hold on it for the full value of the new phone. ($599 or $699 depending on model) and then ship you, next day air, the new phone and a box/label to return the broken one. If you do not return the broken one within 3 business days you will be charged the full price. If you do return it and they deem it is not covered under warranty (ie water damage) they will charge the Out-of-Warranty replacement fee which I believe is $199 or $299 depending on the model. They charge you $29 for this service unless you have purchased additional applecare. If not, they will give you the option of buying it then and then waiving the fee.

BEWARE!!! If you give them a debit card as a CC# they will put a hold on that money and you will not have access to it until that phone is returned and the hold is released (about 24 hours after receipt of the phone)