Geniuses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevento, Jan 27, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I am going to a macstore to see a mac genius.
    - because i spilled water on my computer, got it working after 3 days then spilled more water on it 20 minutes later. i am an idiot.- its a whole lot slower and there's a whole block of keys that dont work "m", "," "." and ";" just plain dont work.

i asked the chair of EE at my college what to do and he said immediately unplug everything and let it dry for a few days and turn it back on. so i did and then i started watching a video, mindlessly poured myself a cup of water, lost my grip and more water splashed on the keyboard.
    so i'm going to mac genius.
    but i have some general questions

1. are they really technicians or just salesmen? the appt is free , so i'm thinking i might just wind up talking to a salesman.

2. how much do they get paid? i may be able to do this job. i am a computer engineering major and by the end of my work study, i will have two EE (electrical engineering) courses, one about electronics. four computer science courses, one on hardware, and two engineering courses.

2. Cudadown macrumors regular

Yes, they are technicians. And you sir, need a sippy cup.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If it's water damaged, then a Mac Genius ain't going to be able to help you. Accidental damage isn't covered under Apple Care and short of suggesting you replace key components at your own expense, they're not going to be able to offer much.

If your home insurance covers accidental damage, you might have more results trying that.

4. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I was just about to suggest that myself, if they can't help you at the Apple store and agree with the post above. As soon as you tell them its accidental water damage they could help with what parts are damaged and give you an estimate I suppose.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

:D

Best of luck with your visit. Hopefully they'll discover that the damage is minimal and you'll be able to repair it easily.

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

even if you don't tell them, they will be able to tell once they start repairing. They could, at that point, either call you and tell you of their findings and suggest the cost...or be really nice and fix it "this one time" free of charge-- good luck!

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

On your dime, the Genius Bar will actually make any repairs required to bring the notebook back to life. If the majority of the system looks damaged, there's even a flat-rate that they charge that covers any damage. (Kind of like the $249.00 flat-rate to have your iPhone repaired, no matter what the damage is).

Most homeowners policies I've seen my friends use (involving electronics) require that a certified technician diagnose the problem and provide a repair estimate before the insurance company paid anything on the claim, so the OP should keep his paperwork if he's going to go down that route.