Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all.

Based on this article: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007020311224154 it looks like the defaults Genres can be removed from iTunes, however i haven't tried this.

However, i would like to remove my own categories, not edit them since no longer need these.

Can this be done?

If i just trash iTunes library files and re-create, iTunes automatically picks up my previous Genres. So their not stored in the same place.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I think i've solved my own issue..

If you change the added Genres to something that's "default" aka General to Rock, Then "General" disappears in the list...

However, one way would be to be *select all* files and change it to one of the default Genres, then delete them from your library, and remove all iTunes files..

When I re-open iTunes, in theory, it should be like setting it up again with all "default" Genres..

Kind of a cooky workaround, but Apple should have made it simpler to just remove Genres to begin with, and not edit in order to remove. As you may no longer need a Genre associated any longer.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What you're saying is that if you have a genre in use within your iTunes library then it appears on the list of genres. This is coorect as that is how iTunes determine what are user added genres. What you need to do is correct the genres that your items are tagged with and then the genre list will be reduced to the default genres plus the genres you have in use.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Plenty of people I know use Genres.

I think what OP is looking for is a way to remove extraneous Genres from his list so that only the default ones like Classical, Hip Hop, Country, Pop, etc. remain.

I used to have a similar problem, any downloaded music sometimes has it's own genre that's not in iTunes by default (like Video OST). Editing the genre name in the metadata to "Soundtrack" fixes the issue.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Yes, but if you create a "custom" Genre, if you later change that Genre, then the first previous one is removed from the list...

This basically means once you have set a Genre for a song/video, you can change it to another one, in order to remove a previous Genre you created, but you can no longer un-assign the song/video to anything. (aka not have any genre associated.)

Talk about limitations ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.