Genuine Apple? Did I get scammed on eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by perezr10, Mar 30, 2017.

1. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so my sons iPhone 4S needed a new 30-pin cable. I bought one on eBay because the guy said it was an Apple cable but the one he sent me has a rounded look instead of blocky like some of my other cables.

Did Apple ever make cables with rounded edges? I sent the seller a note telling him that I didn't think it was genuine Apple and his response was that it should say designed by Apple on the cable if it is real. It does but I assume that could be faked. The ebay cable is circled below. A genuine Apple lightning cable that I had in the house is on the right. IMG_0546.JPG

It's not a big deal for me since it was relatively cheap. But I feel like I have a duty to warn others who may not even notice these little details so that they don't get scammed as well. If it is fake, I'm going to leave him negative feedback.

2. Debel macrumors regular

Debel

3. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah thanks. I have a 30-pin cable from a 3rd gen iPod Touch that was blocky so I thought they were always that way.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The iPhone 3G cable was rounded at the USB end, and I think the 30 pin end was slightly deeper. So either it's a vintage Apple cable, or a vintage knock-off of a vintage Apple cable!

5. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the seller said that he had some genuine Apple cables that were from old devices that his family had purchased in the past. So it's possible it's from an old iPhone 3G. Here's the writing on the other end... fullsizeoutput_2bc.jpeg

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It very well could be legitimate. That appears to be an older style cable.

7. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, since it's not an obvious fake I won't be leaving any negative feedback. Thanks for everyone's help.

8. chilman macrumors regular

chilman