Genuine Apple Europlug adapters

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Signal-11, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Signal-11, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I put up a Marketplace WTB, but I'm not getting a lot of hits. I thought for sure there'd be a bunch of MR members who'd have a couple or a dozen.

Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1319477

Does anyone know where to get a handful of genuine parts? I don't trust dealextreme and the eBay sellers because this is what happened to a friend's charger after he tried using a cheap, not-quite-right Chinese knockoff:

[​IMG]

This is what I'm looking for: (Preferably the thicker, 4.8mm kind on the left.)

[​IMG]

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

From Apple...? Or Amazon.

Does it need to be genuine Apple stuff? I studied abroad/lived in Europe for almost 6 months, just used some dinky travelers kit like this and it worked just fine.

Not the nicest looking thing since you're just slapping it on top of the plug, but it is cheap and includes the EU, UK, and US plugs. It's also very compact in size.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It's called a Duckhead. Ask for it in an Apple Store. :)

4. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I've been living abroad for the better part of 7-8 years. This is the first I'll be settled for more than a year though, so I don't want temporary solutions, nor have to carry adapters around. I have many of those multi-adapters and they are not ideal long term solutions. They do not fit flush to Europlug/Schuko type sockets. Note in following pic how the Airport Express and USB adapter fit flush to the wall socket.

[​IMG]

I vastly prefer the genuine article. As mentioned in the post in this and the Marketplace thread, the knockoffs do not fit right and break (see pic of busted non-Apple plug). Trust me, I am a fairly well travelled person and there is a reason I am asking anyone for this specific solution.

Apple doesn't seem to sell these individually. Just as a part of the World Traveller kit. (I've used every adapter in the kit!) Can't seem to find any of the genuine parts on Amazon, either.

5. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Thanks! I didn't know what to call them, haha.

I asked for them at the Tyson's Corner and Reston Apple Stores near DC and I was told that they didn't sell them separately in the US. The people at the Apple stores directed me to buy the World Traveller kit. I already have an amalgamation of 2 kits + 3 separate MagSafe adapter cords (UK/EU/NA)! I neither need nor want a whole travel kit. I have more of the NA flipping flat plugs that I know what to do with!

Anyway, I'm in Korea and the closest authorized reseller is hours away. And I'm not sure if they'd sell them separately.

IDK why getting these duckheads is so hard. I was hoping that an MR member might moved in reverse (EU -> NA), had a bunch of these rolling around and was willing to part with them. Or had an idea of where to get them.

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

At my store we sell them separately, but I think we order them in large bulks as service parts. I'm not sure.

7. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Maybe if I was asking for the NA flat prong types, they would've had plenty.

Shipping from NOR to the ROK is unrealistic, but I'm curious. How much do you guys charge?

8. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Mods, didn't think about the Buying Advice forum before I posted here. Can I get this thread moved there?

kk thx.

:)