Genuine Apple Mini Display Port to DVI - FAIL = Poor Value for your $

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrwonkers, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Last year I bought a 3rd party mini display port to dvi adapter this failed after 3 months - So I then purchased the genuine Apple branded cable - 5 months on this cable has failed.
    If the Apple one which cost me about $30 only lasted for 5 months and the non genuine $3 eBay special lasted me 3 months the genuine Apple one seems pretty poor value for the price.
    My solution - just ordered a lot of 10 cheapos off eBay for the cost of 1 genuine cable.

Why are these cables failing..... Has anyone else had a simular experience with this product?

2. mountainman macrumors member

mountainman

No problems here

I have had a genuine Apple cable for nearly 2 years and still have no issues with it. It is used every week day plugged/unplugged several times a day. I can't say why yours keep failing.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

the cables do have a bad reputation for being faulty. anywhere you can buy the apple cable just look at the feedback. its always awful rated for the same reasons. some kind of failure. Im having issues with my own adapter which i suspect is the cable so i am waiting on a replacement that is a different brand to see if it helps. i really do hope its a cabe because changing a cable beats exchanging an entire setup any day.

4. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I bought a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter on Monoprice to run a second monitor on my Mac mini for five bucks and it has worked for over a year. Not one issue. And, the way I see it I could replace this cable five times before I've blown enough money for the retail value of an Apple cable.

I've never had a video cable or video adapter fail on me. Not one DVI, VGA, HDMI, S-Video, etc... Not one.