Genuine batteries for self replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KeyBlue, Feb 25, 2017.

1. KeyBlue macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My 2011 17 MacBook Pro needs a new battery.

After searching around the forums, it seems there are lots of places to buy cheap, non OEM batteries or you can take your MacBook to an Apple Store for a genuine replacement.

My problem is since I use my MacBook Pro daily for work, I cannot leave it at an Apple Store for 5 days or so while it's replaced.

Is there anywhere that offers genuine OEM batteries that I could fit myself?

Thanks

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I've gotten my batteries from Apple Authorized Repair providers that I have a good relationship with. They would also be the best people to tell you whether or not Apple even still offers the battery. If they do not, you might be able to call local Authorized providers in your area and find one that happens to have one in stock.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I'm wondering if Apple Stores won't consider a 2011 MacBook to be "vintage", and no longer offer battery replacement?

Changing the battery is easy enough -- go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
    You'll need a few tools (probably a Phillips #00 and a TORX T-6, maybe another one for the battery itself).

Ifixit may sell the battery you need, as well.
    Don't "cheap out" on the battery. There are decent 3rd-party replacements, but there are also very poor ones. Trying to "save a buck" here may not be such a good idea...