Genuine Carrier Unlock [Query]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EvanLugh, Mar 27, 2012.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Orange have finally unlocked my iPhone 4 (5.0.1). As youll know there's no code, however in the email it states you need to restore, though I have seen reports of others simply recognising the unlock upon connection.
    Could someone tell me which it is? I need the new SIM Card/Network however I'm very happy with my current jailbroken state.

Things you might need to know:
    1) I'm in hospital and still working out how to connect to the Internet
    2) as I am in hospital, I have no blobs save, unless I saved them when I did the jailbreak
    3) if I do need to restore, which I hope I don't have to, what are my jailbreaking options? I need untethered as I only have laptop access once a week.

I'm usually up to date with things but being stuck here...you get the drift!

Thanks in advance, especially for those who have actually done the unlocking process.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard that you dont even have to restore.
    All you gotta do is sync with itunes. Some music or apps etc...

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Take the sim out while the phone is on and put it back in (called hot swap).
    With iOS5, that should be enough
    Do you have access to a non-official sim, active or not active, to test the unlock.

4. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

AJ: yeah I've heard conflicting reports so not sure. At the moment I'm trying to figure out a 05:14:02 BB unlock for the 3GS ( what I will use for tethering with. Mac ).

Dhlizard: yeah I have the SIM here, ill pop it in and see what happens...though I suspect it wont recognise it.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If the phone has been FUL, it will recognize the sim and work just fine with it.
    Nothing more is needed under iOS5

The old days of having to sync with iTunes and see the "Congratulations your phone is now unlocked" are gone now that iOS5 is here.

6. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I'm afraid unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. It is now FUL but doesnt recognise the new sim card.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Are you certain the factory unlock is in effect ?

You must have Internet access for the iPhone and/or computer for this unlock to be transmitted to the phone.

Redsn0w has a deactivate selection, I recommend trying that and see if iTunes or iCloud reactivates it with the unlock with one of your sims.

8. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I received an email from Orange saying the process had been completed.
    I had access to the MacBook however it didn't unlock the phone, even when I synced it. I was tethering it (internet connection) off another iPhone.
    Email said to restore the phone however I don't believe you have to (want to keep JB)
    Frustrating..

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I suspect your connection, not being true Wifi, might be the issue
    Good luck

10. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Yes I think the same, too. When plugged in iTunes seemed to be connecting to something but then said there was a network issue. However, I could access the iTunes store.

Odd. Will be Saturday before I get another chance to attempt it.