Genuine Macbook Pro 2016 TB battery expectations v 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gersmuz, Nov 2, 2017.

1. gersmuz macrumors newbie

gersmuz

Hi Group,

Recently bought a MBP 2016 with tb but iam disappointed in the battery life. Whats genuinely can i expect when surfing the net on safari and light tasks ?

Considering selling the Pro and buying a 2017 version if the battery would be improved ?

Any advice would be great

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It really depends on screen brightness and a whole host of other things as well as what you are doing how much flash is running on the safari pages you have open etc etc it should last around 8-9 hours from anecdotal evidence but that's with the screen down a bit (screen brightness is the real battery killer).

Also have you migrated a lot of data? have you checked the energy section of activity monitor to see what's using all that power? is it still spotlight indexing? do you have dropbox and icloud running?

I still get a good 6-7 hours web surfing with a couple of pages open on my 2013.

3. gersmuz thread starter macrumors newbie

gersmuz

I see the screen brightness is a major battery drain. I Usually have the brightness down below half anyway and even further down than that most of the time.

i migrated the data from my old mac about 3 months ago when i got this one so i would think all the indexing would have been done ? I have icloud running in the background

My old air used to have great battery....sometimes i wish i still have it haha

Do you think it would be something that could be improved without getting a new unit ?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Probably not, how long are you getting? You never actually say. The best airs could get 14-15 hours but that was running a poor, but very efficient, low res TN panel, and a 15w CPU. your new machine is running a very good but very bright and power hungry retina screen with a 28w cpu with better but more power hungry graphics and a separate arm chip and screen for the touchbar all with a very small battery for form factor.

You could try the non touchbar version it is much more a MacBook Air replacement specs machine.

5. gersmuz thread starter macrumors newbie

gersmuz

Iam getting about 3-4 hours max on a full charge and when using lightroom it could be as little as 90 mins

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Now that is rubbish sounds like your battery is a little dead I would take it to Apple they should fix it, it’s within warranty.