genuine MBP funkiness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ash987, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ash987 macrumors newbie

hello,

My practically brand new MBP is behaving very strangely. These are the (possibly interrelated) symptoms.

1. In sleep mode, sometimes the battery drains itself completely over night.

2. Sometimes, when I try to awake the computer from sleep mode, it does not instantly spring back to life, but goes through this weird quasi-restart. Check it out:

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/ashcocksworth/?action=view&current=IMG_0215.jpg

3. Strange streaks have started to appear on the screen. They either suddenly appear in a flicker or they are present from the very start up. The only way get my screen back is to put the computer to sleep and then awake it. It's been happening now and again for a few weeks but recently more often. Here are a couple of photos I managed to take of it:

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/ashcocksworth/?action=view&current=IMG_0224.jpg

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/ashcocksworth/?action=view&current=IMG_0225.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Ash

2. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Sounds like it's a faulty unit. Since it's brand new, you can probably just exchange it for a new one.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh you poor OP.

your computer will drain the battery overnight normally around 5%-10% because it has to keep RAM powered. if the battery is going to go COMPLETELY flat then it will go into deep sleep, which is what your experiencing when you start it back up..it will save RAM onto the HD, that wierd little bar is an indication of the RAM being restored.

the 2nd issue, with the lines, is the bad(ness) of the LCD screen, that is quite bad, but not uncommon, if it bothers you that much take it in to the store and ask for a new one

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

the quasi restart is safe sleep, it enters that mode when the battery dies and it cant maintain sleep anylonger

the second issue looks like faulty backlighting

take it to an apple store, or if you bought it from a different retailer, just exchange it, most places you can exchange faulty units within 14 days no questions asked

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

what do you mean if it bothers him that much? those issues are completly unacceptable...

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

fair enough then! i am only going off my gf's and a few other LED backlit MBPs that ive seen. my gf's only does it on certain colours tho, on grey its fine

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

odd, still, it would both the heck outta me, its suposed to be smooth all the way across at all times, the battery issue though, something is wrong there, no way it would drain the entire thing over night in sleep mode, that HAS to be fixed

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I experience issue #2 on both my MacBook and my MacBook Pro when I plug the notebook in after the unit's batter life hits zero. I assumed this was normal - maybe something to do with saving the display.

9. ash987 thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers for the swift replies.

thanks for explaining problem 2 - that makes sense now.

i'll take it down to the shop, see what they say. but just to clarify: the battery drains much more than 5-10% - it empties everything that is in the battery at the time of sleep; and the streaking is not dependent on any specific background colour - after a while it takes over the whole screen, rendering it pretty much useless.

oh, and although it is practically brand new, it is a week outside of the 14 days haven - typical!

10. hitman45400 macrumors regular

Well, it might be covered under the 1 year of apple care, but i'm not sure, i don't know about apple care on laptops..

11. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the OP hasnt said what percentages the battery drains from though, so we cant be certain what is actually the problem. my CD will sometimes drain more than 10%, my gfs new MBP (latest model) only drains about 5%...