Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I searched the forums and did not see this already mentioned. I found this very nice application called Geopher Lite that will make geocaching on the iPhone possible. The developer seems to be having a couple issues with Apple at the moment, but you can read up on the status on their blog. It looks really good, and I really hope this app, or one similar comes out soon. Does anyone else know of another caching app in the works? I have not seen one pop up on iTunes yet. Heres the developers blog for Geopher Lite.

http://geopherlite.blogspot.com/

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
No but I have been anxiously waiting! I used my iPhone 3G the other day to find a cache.. it was very accurate.. looks like a GREAT all-in-one tool if an app comes out that uses common sense.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I used my iPhone 3G the other day to find a cache.. it was very accurate..

That is excellent to hear. I can't wait to get out with mine. I had been waiting for an app like this to come out, but then again, I am sure a lot of caches by me aren't even that sophisticated.

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Can someone explain to me what geocaching is?

http://www.geocaching.com

Basically, it's like a global treasure hunt. Someone hides a cache, which can be anything from a camera film tube with paper and pencil to a a large box with items for people to take (preferably leaving something in return) and then posts the location based on GPS. Other people then find the caches using their own GPS (it's a lot harder than it sounds) or, like me, guessing roughly using Google Earth because they don't have GPS (enter iPhone 3G).

You can record the ones you've found and it's a fun way of getting out and about more and finding new places.

A geocaching app was one of the first things I thought about when GPS was confirmed.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
It would be neat for quick urban caches, but for multi-points or anything that would take more than a few minutes, running GPS and that big screen would be too battery intensive and I'd just use my Garmin.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
No but I have been anxiously waiting! I used my iPhone 3G the other day to find a cache.. it was very accurate.. looks like a GREAT all-in-one tool if an app comes out that uses common sense.

What app are you using to input the Lat/Long of the cache?

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
either that ^ or go to the webpage that describes the cache and touch "view in Google Maps" and it brings up the google maps app which it would normally bring up google maps in your internet browser.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
either that ^ or go to the webpage that describes the cache and touch "view in Google Maps" and it brings up the google maps app which it would normally bring up google maps in your internet browser.

Oh thats good. I will have to try that.

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
but see it becomes a problem whenever your on Edge and have more than like 4 caches to find.. thats why we need an application that can do what the Geopher guy is talking about in his post today.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Looks like Geopher Lite was just released.

It's not clear if this app actually uses the iPhone's GPS to get your current location first, then allows you to put in a geocache waymark, or if it is simply a glorified web browser that you have to manually enter everything including your current location, which is what the app description sort of sounds like:

Geopher is a while-you-are-out geocaching application. Quickly check your current location via geocaching.com for geocaches in your area with the search button...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This all sounds like a waste of gas.

I hope you are all biking to your destinations!!

Yikes.

sirmalloc

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
I've got one in development...

I've got a geocaching application in development right now that you guys might be interested in. There are some screenshots up at www.geodeapp.com and a feature list, and I'm going to be keeping a development blog over at www.nonameindustries.com. Hit me up, let me know what you think and what features are most important to you and I'll try to incorporate them.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I've got a geocaching application in development right now that you guys might be interested in. There are some screenshots up at www.geodeapp.com and a feature list, and I'm going to be keeping a development blog over at www.nonameindustries.com. Hit me up, let me know what you think and what features are most important to you and I'll try to incorporate them.

This looks fabulous. Just as a little query, how much do you expect this application to go for in the app store?

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007

Wow that looks awesome. Keep up the good work and I hope to see it in the app store soon!

genshi

macrumors 6502a

Now THAT looks nice. Really like the interface. I would definitely pay for that app if it works the way it sounds like it will work. I've just started getting more into the whole geocaching thing so this will be a welcomed utility.

GreenLightJerky

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
very nice!!!!! I will definitely get this app. Can't wait to download it.I can easily justify my otterbox defender now. Thank you.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
I've never heard of Geocaching before but it sounds cool. As a music producer I get TONS of cd's all the time sent to me. Usually these end up in the trash, but perhaps if I had an app like this I could put boxes of mixtapes and other promo stuff in fields and have you people hunt for it. Sounds like a sweet idea to me.

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008

How are your conversations with the folks at Geocaching.com going? They wouldn't let the developer of Geopher use any site data in a commercial application, not even reading of co-ords, so the best he could do was display the Geocaching page in an integrated browser, but you need to copy the co-ords into the app yourself.

sirmalloc

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
How are your conversations with the folks at Geocaching.com going? They wouldn't let the developer of Geopher use any site data in a commercial application, not even reading of co-ords, so the best he could do was display the Geocaching page in an integrated browser, but you need to copy the co-ords into the app yourself.

Conversations with Geocaching.com aren't going. They never replied to my emails. I'll try again at some point.

I plan on building in browsing functionality that will enable the user to point to the site of their choice, with the option to pass their current location as part of the querystring. I'm also aiming to add coordinate recognition to the browser that I embed in the application so that whatever site the user is browsing, it'll try to recognize coordinates on the page.

If the user chooses to use the browsing functionality to hit Geocaching.com's nearby listing page and then use the coordinate recognition to attempt to auto-populate the coordinates, they can do that. It's up to the user to make sure they aren't violating the TOS of the site they choose to use. I fail to see how the coordinate recognition is any different than Apple's phone number recognition in the browser that auto-links phone numbers to launch a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.