Geocaching GPS suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Telp, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Alright well the more I read and learn about geocaching, the more I want to get out and start searching. My first plan was to get the iPhone3G and use that as a GPS for caching. However, the only problem with that is that its a month away. If it is worth it, I can wait, seeing as i need the new phone anyway. What are anyones thoughts? Wait for iPhone 3G and kill two birds with one stone or get a GPS and just swap my current iPhone for a refurb for the screen. If GPS, suggestions would be appreciated. I have been looking on geocaching forums and so I really just want to get more opinions. Thanks a lot everyone.

-Telp

2. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Well everyone, I think I have decided to just wait for the iPhone 3G.

Thanks for the help :rolleyes:.

3. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I don't think the iPhone would make a very good geocaching GPS. You are going to want a dedicated handheld unit. The iPhone doesn't seem like it can import waypoints, requires that you have cell/data service and is not very rugged.

I use a Garmin 60CS which is a great handheld, the newer Garmin 60Cx and CSx are even better since memory is expandable in them. You can get by with a much cheaper handheld than those just for caching, Garmin has models starting around $99.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, at least with the 1.x firmware but who knows.

Not true, AGPS just means you can use cell towers to help as well.

???

But its another device.

5. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Without the ability to add waypoints downloaded from the geocaching website, the iPhone is useless as a serious geocaching GPS.

Not to mention if you are counting on using just Google maps then you do need the cell network to download those maps. Maps are usually useless once you get close to a cache, you probably want a compass that will point you in the direction you should be heading. It is also unknown how well the GPS in the iPhone works, will it work well under tree cover, who knows.

I mention ruggedness since frequently caches can be hidden in places you wouldn't want to be carrying and expensive phone that is not water resistent, has a glossy plastic back that I'm sure could be scratched and a glass screen.

While I can't say 100% the iPhone wouldn't be good for caching, I can say a $100-$150 base level Garmin (Magellen makes good units too but I hate their interface) would be better. I've been caching for a few years now so I do have some experience.

6. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

I am using a Garmin ETrex Legend and it seems to be working fine for me...nothing fancy about it...but I like it that way. Monochrome screen, but accurate enough.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you are in the rain you can use a waterproof case...

The glass screen doesn't scratch and that the back does doesn't make it less usable.

I believe one of the current GPS manufacturers, tom tom I believe is making software for the iPhone which will include maps...

8. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

Yes, and also, I am sure that many people will be making applications (or rather, I am counting on this...) that will make it suitable for caching. The same way they do for phones like the blackberry. If the iPhone doesn't work well out in the field, I'll get a garmin or something. On the other hand I need a new phone and I will test out the usability of the iPhone before getting a GPS, although I might end up getting both. Thanks for all the suggestions and everything. Im not yet a serious geocacher so I thought I might be able to deal with the iPhone until i do get seriuos, but who knows. We will see in about a month.