Geocities and the rest

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unplugme71, Nov 7, 2013.

1. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

What ever happened to these free (ad-supported) personal hosting sites? I don't even know of any other ones out there on the market. Has creating your own web site using WYSIWYG editors gone out of style?

I know I'm many years late asking this - but figured I'd start up a discussion.

Granted - you can get a lot of shared hosting with more options/features for a few bucks per month - but there are people still around that rather not pay.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Because it's simply too expensive and not in demand by individuals, except by those who want to spam affiliate links and store a few copyrighted pieces of content until it gets removed, only to put it back up again.

Only did Zapd just close down.

You can't survive with just 100 people using your service, the ads will stop paying within a few months.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Years ago, I used Webs.com and was pretty happy with them. Don't know how different they might be today.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Geocities that brings back memories of the early days of the web. Social networking sites like Myspace :eek: and blogging software really pulled away a lot of the users of those early hosting sites

5. Xerotech macrumors 6502

A lot of it has died out because various places offer ad-free hosting and only requiring a few forum posts.

Random, but here's an entire archive of the GeoCities site.
    http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/5923737/
    (Yeah, piratebay is used for good!)

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I don't think it was any one thing, but rather a combination of factors. Paid hosting became cheaper and Ad blockers more prevalent. Personal sites were replaced with MySpace and later Facebook pages. Etc etc.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Geocities, I remember them. For them, it was Yahoo buying them and then mismanaging what they had.

There are still free web hosts floating around, I think even Google may offer one but don't quote me on this.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I also remember Geocities, however, I never used them.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

MY yahoo id was my old geocities id, so every time I use yahoo (which is infrequently at this point), it reminds me of what used to be

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm tempted to download that just so I can find my old page.

11. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert