Geofence in iOS 7 betas

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by grockk, Jul 17, 2013.

1. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Does anyone have geofences working? I have some location based reminders and they don't go off. Also don't get my Find My Friends alerts based on location.

I looked through all the screen shots and didn't see anyone with the outlined arrow in the status bar like it shows in the location settings menu and used to show in iOS 6.

So does anyone have this working?

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Have not worked for me in all 3 betas.

3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Pretty sure I have had a few reminders work fine when set to remind me to do something when I get home. Just set another one which should remind me in about 3hrs to do something, so I'll see if it worked ok then

4. lgdias macrumors newbie

FMF got all wrong a couple of days ago when I tried i couple of notifications (leaving a place and getting to a place)

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

It works for me - has on all the betas. (I have recurring reminders to get my grocery bags when I pull into grocery stores parking lots - its worked the whole time for me.)

6. grockk thread starter macrumors 6502

grockk

Do you get the geofence icon in the status bar?

I'll set a reminder for leaving work and going home and see if maybe its just the icon not working or gone in iOS 7?

7. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Hasn't worked for me at all in the Reminders app. I set up two location based reminders this last weekend at my mom's and dad's. Neither one of them worked.

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I get the notice on my lock screen - I'll check for the status bar icon next time Im out:)

9. hxlover904 macrumors regular

had no issues with FMF. haven't tried it with reminders tho.

10. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Beta 3, had the geofence icon up but did not remind me when I got home. Tried it again later and another reminder did work as expected, so definately an issue there

11. grockk thread starter macrumors 6502

grockk

I just tried a restore and set up as new and still had the issue, so I loaded my backup and will wait for next betas. I didn't see anything in the release notes so we should file as a bug.

12. deathr0w macrumors newbie

I noticed that the geofence icon disappears when you close Reminders app from the task manager, if you leave that in background the icon remains and the notifications works, at least in my case, when i close up the app, then the notifications for geolocation stops. I don´t recall having this behaviour on IOS6 where geofencing worked as a service. Something to test in the next Beta, if someone has the possibility to submit bugs, please do so

13. grockk thread starter macrumors 6502

grockk

First check on iOS 7 Beta 4 is this is still not working.

I haven't done a restore yet, just a OTA upgrade but I don't get the geofence icon like in iOS 6.

Will see if notifications work when i leave work today.

14. ToddJ macrumors 6502

15. ToddJ macrumors 6502

16. grockk thread starter macrumors 6502

grockk

17. grockk, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

grockk thread starter macrumors 6502

grockk

Ah ha!

You have to have background app refresh enabled! As soon as I turned it on the geofence icon came up in the status bar! We've all been disabling it to try and save battery but it's what lets Reminders and Find Friends give location based alerts.

This is weird because passbook always gave alerts for Starbucks when nearby. Oh well.

Mystery solved. I just left the house and got my reminder.

18. dustlane macrumors member

dustlane

are you guys having to manually enter the addresses for the places where your reminders are supposed to go off our is it working like Google Now?