Geofence iPhone settings

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kevo1011, Aug 19, 2012.

1. kevo1011 macrumors regular

Started this to see if other people are interested in having settings by geofence/location. I'm hoping to get it someday in ios.

2. BlankStar macrumors regular

I have no clue what you're talking about...

Give an example of such setting?

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yes, I think this is a good idea worth looking at. A few examples:

Disable passcode when I'm at home.
    Turn on Bluetooth when I get to work.
    Disable camera when I'm at work.

4. jackal123uk macrumors member

I'd like to see the option to disable cellular data when I'm home or perhaps when in range of my home wifi.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Security liability.

2. ok

3. What does that solve? You have the passwords, you could just go turn it back on. Might as well just choose to not use it in the first place if that's what you want.

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

1. Yes, it is a security liability. But I'd say you're least likely to get your iPhone stolen at home. Plus, if thief A steals your phone, it'll need a pass code when he leaves the house, rendering the phone unusable.

2. Solves nothing but is an example.

3. Security purposes for those working in high security or locked down environments.

These are just three examples of things that are possible! Matching geofencing to anything on the iPhone is a great idea.

7. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Those two would be so great. Hope Apple add this stuff in future.

8. Brazuca macrumors regular

Why not have these tied to a particular WiFi network? I remember a setting in my old cell phone that would configure the phone based on Bluetooth proximity. Shouldn't be hard to do with Wifi.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

This would need to be controlled by an MDM solution that the business operates. Otherwise as the other poster said, you could turn it off without the business knowing and then use your camera. Business security should be managed by the business not the individual.

10. sesnir macrumors 6502

Perhaps, but the thief could just park outside your house, entering the geofence, and access your data.

So if you get mugged, he knows where you live by your license... or he can pickpocket the phone and follow you home... or maybe he just knows who you are and where you live before he swipes your phone off your desk at work... etc.

11. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

That would be really useful IMO

12. Gymgenius Suspended

Great idea, but it would require location services to be constantly on.
    I think that would kill battery life.

13. mape2k macrumors regular

It already does. Try to set a Reminder alarm based on location and see you battery life go bye bye!

14. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see some more powerful location based reminders as well. For example, "Remind me to get milk when I'm at a grocery store," or, "Remind me to get staples when I'm somewhere that sells them." Things like that without having to define the address of a store would be very useful.

I realize that this isn't 100% pertinent to the rest of this thread, but it was an idea that I had and this was the first geofence related thread that I could find.

15. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone know if we will get something like location based settings in iOS 7?