Geofence Reminder workaround to NOT have to create new contact?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBM007, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MBM007 macrumors regular

Has anyone found someway to alert them when they get to a specific business/address/etc. that is NOT saved as a contact? Or do I have to rely on a Cydia developer getting annoyed too once an untethered iOS5 jb is released??...I don't see Apple doing anything about this issue taking into account how long it took to get MMS, copy&paste, etc.. SO FRUSTRATING!
    Only way I've found of doing it is running a map search and then saving it as a contact, which results in a ton of clutter in the main contact list (I've since found that through iCloud you can create a group called "Businesses" or whatever but creating/editing a group can only been done via a computer, so its a bitch to manage)
    It would be so much simpler if you could just say for instance "Siri, remind to get some coffee beans the next time I'm near Ozo Coffee in Boulder, Colorado" to which Siri would say "the Ozo Coffee on Pearl St. or Arapahoe?" I'd chose one or be able to say either, and then have a reminder set for the next time I'm in the area.
    I've had literally every iPhone on launch day and have been a mac user/owner for over ten years, but I really get frustrated with how long it takes to update very simple things like this. I mean, how were people creating groups of contacts before iCloud? I never even tried before being forced to save places as Contacts. It would be so simple to implement creating a group right on the phone, it makes me sick. While I'm on the subject of contacts, WTF are 'Montage Contacts'? I did a quick google search but saw nothing on the front page and dont' have the time to research something I'll prolly never use.

Welp thats my rant for the day

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Are you SIRIously that lazy? :rolleyes: Make a contact of the store name under company name and enter the address. Next time it won't even ask which street you want it on. SIRI is still beta, so as it progresses like an AI it'll be more efficient.

3. aztooh macrumors 6502a

What does it have to do with being lazy? I also don't want to have a contact for everyplace I may stop by and might want a reminder for every once in a while...or even just a one time thing.

There's no reason Siri can't bring up maps to select a location instead of selecting a contact.

4. MBM007 thread starter macrumors regular

Its not about being lazy, its about being efficient in my work and Apple being foolish in their design. Say I need to go to a place only once and then hopefully never again (i.e. a hellhole like Starbucks cuz I have an idiot in-law who wants some of their crap schwag for X-Mas)....the fact that I have to create a contact and then once I'm reminded remember to delete it is a POOR DESIGN. Having my contact list cluttered with businesses that I have to scroll thru is a pain in the ass.

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

At the least, there should be an option to use bookmarks on the map.

6. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

these map limitations are really more constrained by google since SIRI has to go through google maps.. Hopefully the mapping system Apple is working will be better integrated with the OS and SIRI.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think that is an excellent observation. SIRI truly is a work in progress and added features and integrations are likely forthcoming.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I hope so. It would also be nice if we had an option of alerting us when we get within a certain radius of the location, like half a mile. Because I've had instances where I've driven past the location in my reminder and not gotten an alert. I believe that OmniFocus has this capability.