Geofencing option in iOS apps

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Sonmi451, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Sonmi451, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

Sonmi451 Suspended

I am using an app that allows you to specify a geofence location. It's DS Photo app by synology. Basically it allows me to auto-upload my photos to my NAS at home. It allows me to set a specific geofence location so when I enter that area, it will auto upload my photos. It appears it will not auto-upload photos you take while in that location. You would have to leave, and come back or enter another specified geofence location.

So my question...

Dropbox also has a background upload option for backing up photos. What is the difference? Dropbox doesn't allow me to specify geofence areas. I believe iOS apps will time-out after 10 minutes of non-use.

From what I have used of dropbox, it appears the app will time-out after a few minutes (10?) and you have to open the app again to continue uploading.

According to dropbox website ( https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/500 ) It will stop after a period of time, but auto-resume once iOS senses you have entered some other area of unknown distance away. I suppose this depends if you have cellular selected or Wi-Fi only.

Thoughts??

2. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I think they are just two similar approaches to the same problem: how to legitimately take advantage of background app refresh?

They can't run constantly, scanning for changes to your photo library. For whatever reason background location has been chosen as a way to wake the app.