GeoHot back to JB scene

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gngan, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I wish there's someone like GeoHot to be back into JB scene. He is good at physically tearing down stuff and look for exploit (bootrom). Most of the current JB stuff works around what he discovered. The current dev-team is more like a software hack team which can be patched by Apple.

I love what the dev team is doing now but it will just be harder to find exploit in software in long term. We need someone who is good at discovering bootrom exploit.

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

geohot's limera1n exploit had absolutely nothing to do with a "physical" teardown of the iPhone 4. Do you know what a bootrom is? It's not something you can exploit by taking it apart. He unlocked the first gen iphone by taking it apart and modding it but has not exploited any subsequent generation on the hardware level.

Limera1n took a little while to come out after the release of the iphone for (mid october is when it came out, device came out in mid june). And don't forget that this was released just before chronic dev were about to release their own bootrom exploit, SHAtter. That has since become the exploit used in some versions of greenpois0n.

The only device out there without a known bootrom exploit is the iPad2 and between posixninja and geohot and others, one will be found before too long. posixninja tweeted a little while ago that he challenged geohot to find a bootrom exploit for the ipad2 before posixninja could. A challenge which geohot purportedly accepted. What leads you to believe geohot is gone for good?

3. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Thanks for clarifying it.

What about the permanent JB for iPhone 2G/EDGE? Is it from GeoHot? I wish there someone who is able to do this for all idevices. So we don't need to wait for userland JB (untether).

I remember reading somewhere that iPhone 4 or iPad 2 doesn't work on SHAtter exploit because Apple patched before dev release it.

I also remember reading somewhere with the challenge with GeoHot. Didn't know GeoHot took the challenge. He hasn't been very active in the JB scene for a while. Maybe due to PS3 hacking and lawsuit.

He is a wise kid but too much drama.

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

You know, I honestly believe apple intentionally leaves a hole to exploit, so they get ideas. Jailbreaking has given the iPhone more capabilities then apple probably would've added in 10 years had it not been for jailbreaking. Let's pretend apple allowed and promoted jailbreaking / tweaks, really the only new feature of iOS5 is PC-free. So for those who jailbreak it's really like iOS 4.5

Now I'm guessing they'll add something like SBSettings next, and possibly even a choice of themes for iOS6.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Almost every improvement you see apple talking about ifrom 4.0 to 5.0. Is something that has been in the jb community before Apple. Personly I thing Apple should work or pay some of the kb dev's like Chpwn or David Ashmen to name a few. For there ideas maybe implement them officially. Love to see folderenhancer in ios5.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I just want to say misleading thread title... change it... :rolleyes:

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Agreed. I just wasted 2 minutes of my life on this thread!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Apple should hire some more guys from the JB scene like they did with the mobilenotifier author.

9. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

How about best of all, provide a switch to drop the "jail"? Sony-Ericsson does this with their bootloaders. If you are a developer, you give them the phone's IMEI, they give you an unlock code, and everyone is happy.

Two reasons Apple spends a lot of time with the jail code:

1: Anti-piracy. For at least a few months, app writers know nobody is going to be pirating their work with Installious. I'm sure there are ways to protect against piracy while allowing people to do what they want to their phone. Android has a separate anti-piracy mechanism, called LVL, that doesn't rely on the device not being rooted.

2: Keeping people from shooting themselves in the foot. If dumb users would be allowed to install any apps they come across, they get infected, their iPhone gets compromised, and they whine to everyone how insecure iOS is. If this functionality was officially limited to developers, they already waived that right away with the contract for iOS.

I think a good balance would be allowing registered devs/testers (paid or free) to play outside the jail. Apple knows that a JB will happen sooner or later, might as well have a way for people to do it anyway.

10. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

^^ qft ^^

11. posixninja macrumors newbie

Chronic-Dev is an extreamly talented group and have discovered more bootrom exploits then all other groups combined. You're in good hands buddy.

12. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

i hope they have a bootrom exploits for ipad2 and find more for future idevices.

13. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I just read that GeoHot is now working for Facebook (and has for about a month). Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've seen this in a lot of websites this morning.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Iclarified a credible source to me says FAKE so that's where I going.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8275

plus there have been tons of fake geohot facebook/twiiter/myspace accounts in the past along with musclenerd and comex etc. true hackers tend not to like facebook could because of the hack ability factor.

15. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Based on how many days ago this thread was made and the comments then, I don’t think anyone cares. :D

17. kre62 macrumors 68000

your article is over a year old..

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

well it is looking real but if so who cares. he has said many times that he wants nothing to do with FB. Oh wait they are going to pay me... :rolleyes:

19. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

they leave a hole so they can steal people's ideas and take it as their own