GeoHot, coming out from the shadows?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PsstGreek, Jan 3, 2011.

1. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

2. CZK macrumors 6502a

Old news is old.

Geohot has no public facebook/twitter or whatever. No one knows what he is doing.

Anyways one thing is sure. Him> Dev team + chronic dev

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

He was playing to get the PS3 root key and he just released it to anyone that has internet to use it for future homebrew and/or piracy on the machine, basically the PlayStation 3 is Now Pwned for Life ! ;):cool:

4. JonTa macrumors member

indeed, he just (yesterday) published the metldr key for ps3, which means the console is hacked for good and its matter of days/hours of CFW (no more boot dongles, etc)

love his quote;

http://geohot.com/

i doubt he sees any more fun hacking iphone with all "noobs" around

5. MikePA, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It wasn't just the newbies, who were constantly whining "Where's my jb?" it was also the people, who still fill threads with the pansy phrases, "I'm patiently waiting." or "Fingers crossed for a jb soon.". People could never see, or never cared, their euphemistic posts were as annoying and ineffective as the "Where's my jb?" ones.

6. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I find it funny how he is able to do what teams of people can't do or can only do in excessive amounts of time.

7. 3282868 macrumors 603

While it's Saurik's prerogative to release a jailbreak, many forget that users have PAID for Cydia app's they are unable to use until Comex/Saurik releases a jailbreak. In doing so he has started a small business and should treat it as such. Stating it's "free" is incorrect. I paid for dozens of applications I cannot use because he doesn't want to work. That's tantamount to a business owner taking your money for a product than stating "Oh, I don't want to release product X for you to use product Y."

Before anyone jumps, I had to have my iPhone 4 replaced with a new one due to a defect, thus my 4.2b3 SHSH blobs are unaccessible. I've waited patiently for a new release but now this is ridiculous. Either refund the money for the unusable applications or fulfill your business obligations to those who paid for services (now) unrendered.

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

This topic was discussed in another thread which dealt with funding the jb process since there are businesses, not just Cydia, who depend on jb.

jb is, in fact free, as are many other packages available via Cydia.

Also, Saurik's business obligations to you have been fulfilled, you bought the product and used it. The fact you can't use the software now is not Saurik's problem, nor his obligation to resolve nor to refund any money. Plus Saurik didn't write the software, he simply sold it.

What software developer guarantees their software will always work? None.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

For the records, I couldn't disagree more with this statement, what he got in talent he ruined it with arrogance and immaturity.

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Then don't update firmware until a JB is out for it. I realize this wasn't the scenario in your case, but for a lot of people it is.

Keep in mind that you're doing something with Apple's device that they don't want you to do, so "business" or not (it's not), you and GeoHot/Dev Team are swimming upstream here anyway.

It'd be different if Apple's device/software had an issue. Then they have nobody working against them, and they are obligated to fix it themselves because every single issue can ultimately be laid on their doorstep. Not the case here.

11. 3282868 macrumors 603

Partially agree. It's officially not illegal to jailbreak the device, yet it is Apple's product owners have made an agreement to honour.

Unfortunately I had no choice in the matter as my iPhone 4 needed to be replaced, my previous iPhone was JB'ed on 4.1 and I would have jumped to 4.2 as I had 4.2b3 SHSH blobs saved as I am an iOS developer (which you knew so sorry for clarifying again :eek:).

To address the other issue, I realize purchasing Cydia applications is a gamble as it is an unofficial Apple application. However offering this constitutes a small business and thus a business agreement is in effect with customers. Comex has stated that he has an untethered jailbreak for certain iOS devices but wishes to now wait until 4.3 is out as to avoid a further cat and mouse game. However this to me simply translates "I do not want to work further by having to release another jaibreak after 4.2.1". This is unacceptable to those who purchased his products/applications.

If you do not wish to work for your paid services than simply make it a donate only service. Nothing owed to (certain) users. Otherwise, as with any job, do the work.

12. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Yes there is a business agreement between you and Cydia, but that has no bearing on the obligations that Comex may owe.

The agreement is that you pay Cydia $x and they will provide you with software y, they are not obliged to ensure that you can ALWAYS use it, especially when you know it is a gamble. Furthermore, it is not Cydia who is responsible for ensuring that a JB will be available. Cydia merely requires a JB be available to operate and profit, but this doesn't change its obligations to you, nor does it impose any obligations upon the JB devs.

Yes yes, you feel aggrieved because you paid good money for software that won't work, but no software dev will EVER guarantee that their software can be used by you. This is no different.

13. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

In retrospect we should all be thankful to the application developers who update their Cydia apps/tweaks to support new Apple firmware releases, e.g. 3.1.3 -> 4.0 was a major leap and most of them charge nothing for this service.

I wish this was true for sw devs in many other communities.

14. Dellfanboy macrumors member

Is this the same GEOHOT that you guys were willing to kill his first born because he released a JB before the dev team? Maybe I'm wrong but boy have the tables turned.....

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Sweeping generalities - Gotta love 'em.

There were plenty of geohot sycophants last time his name was mentioned on this forum and I imagine many of the same people are still worshiping at his throne. But, alas, he has moved on to greener pastures, like the PS3. :rolleyes:

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

YOU basically broke the terms of the agreement of the bought apps so I don't understand your whining...

17. waltercln macrumors regular

what exactly do you have to do to make the ps3 root key work. their is no tutorials or anything

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

that has nothing to do with this site. basically he gave the root key (though publicly to the PS3 hack team @fail0verflow. they will be able to use the root key along with there own jailbreak and they say ps3 will then be pawned for life. pd3 jailbreak is expected later this month.

about geohot I still say he is a snob and abet I think is he very smart he is at at a IVY league college. As smart as he is by himself he would still even be smarter with a team. but I think he is just too difficult to work with. he is underground so nobody knows what he is doing. no Twitter no Facebook no blog only fake sites. if he does release something we will no like Limera1n. I do think he has gating smarter he can have a life at college work on hacking on his time and release it with out a million stupid questions. if there are any bugs in the jailbreak he can leave it for others to clean up. like the wifi issues in Purplera1n. step 1 release jailbreak step 2 set up donate button 3 collect $ what comes in step 4 wait for next jailbreak step 5 go back to step 1.

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The root key will allow people to write their own software and update the PS3 with it. When the developer writes a program for the PS3, they will sign it with the key. This will trick the PS3 into thinking that the software is legit and coming from Sony. It is of no use to someone that isn't a developer.

Eventually, developers will release software that will allow everyone hack their PS3 in all sorts of ways.

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

geohot didn't like being a little fish in a big pond (jb) so now he's a big fish in a little pond (PS3).

21. waltercln macrumors regular

makes sense i didn't get what all the hoopla was about lol.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

23. 3282868 macrumors 603

How do YOU figure? "I" broke? Explain…

and please, stop with your immature accusatory tone, if you have to state something, show R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Agree to some extent, I disagree that the developer owes nothing. As I paid for services that are dependent on the developer fulfilling their end of their commitment from instead of delaying a release to lessen his workload seems rather inexcusable.

It's not whining, so for those stating such stop trolling/inflaming/insulting others and make respectful, PRODUCTIVE comments. Otherwise, you're acting like the child, not the other way around.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I will take your bait... broke was not the best word for what I wanted to say, maybe a better word is 'ended' the agreement...
    1)When you buy an app from Cydia, there is no future upgrade promise that it will work and you will have access to it once a new fw is released by apple
    1a)If you change fw or change to another phone there are no guarantees and you are never told you would have, that they would work or the time frame allotted for a new jb for your specific device.
    1b)once you change fw or change hardware is your responsibility to check that what you had in an older fw might not work anymore or might take some indefinite time to be upgraded.
    2)Comex finds holes and creates parts of a jailbreak and he has nothing to do w/ any apps you bought on Cydia from other developers and doesn't get any money from the apps you bought neither. The only "app" I know that Comex has made is frash and is free.
    3)Saurik doesn't develop the jailbreak itself, he upgrades Cydia to work on the newer fw's and keeps hashes for people.
    4)read your posts you are definitely writing like a whiny person... You used your apps on your older phone and they worked as advertised, they don't have to give you your money back because now you own a different hardware no one gave you that guarantee.

25. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Why are people whining about being "entitled" to futureproof software? By that logic I should be able to run Windows 7 on a 1995 IBM 486 processor... because I should get upgraded free right? And if I still have a 2G iPhone, I'm entitled to forever usability right? No, it's not realistic to expect forever-licensing with any software. If you (for whatever reason), chose\had to upgrade your phone to a different model than was supported at the time, you lose your rights. I'd love to be able to get a free upgrade to cases\chargers\accessories every time I get a new model phone, but that's not reality.