Geohot has been hacking the PS3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Moi un Mouton, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

2. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

saw that too. im excited to see what he can do. Its been 4 years or so and no one has been able to touch it

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, I wonder if we'll see a Ch0c0lat3Ra1n to "jailbreak" our PS3's! ;)

Although, I don't see much demand really to do this for general consumers... As it is, programming for the Cell processor is pretty complicated. I'm sure plenty of people would like to play around and tinker, but I doubt any real development will amount from it.

As far as consumers go, they want to play games and browse the internet and play movies and music. The PS3 already lets you do all those things!

It would be cool though to get Plex/XBMC on there or something. Maybe just Firefox with a UA switcher so you can watch Hulu vids. That's about all I can see wanting.

Although, pirates who also own BlueRay burners would like it, I'm sure. :p

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Thats true...kid is damn smart.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, this guy is pretty amazing. I've been following his blog for the last six months or so, and I'm constantly shaking my head at what he does in such a short period of time.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Read this on the BBC last night. Although given the PS3 (or at least the fat one) can run Linux is there any need for homebrew?
    Though DarkAlex really made the PSP a good device. Without his firmware I wouldn't have bought a PSP. Not that I'm into piracy, but they did enable PS1 emulation before Sony added it and it let us rip our own discs instead of rebuying them again, and let us run games in full 333mhz which is needed for games like GTA, Tomb Raider etc.

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, the PS3 linux install is limited on the power it can access from device. Anything on Linux has restricted access from the Hypervisor which is why Geohotz wrote in his post "Hello Hypervisor."

He has found a way to get UNRESTRICTED access. You do bring up a good point though. Getting PS2 or PS1 emulation would be awesome for us recent PS3 Slim owners. :D

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I think I know the real reason why people say the Cell is hard to code for.

Sony

The Cell processor itself is relatively well documented enough for any coder to realize his vision. This stupid hypervisor BS is the real limit. Not being Able to understand the hardware is a major limit. Linux for PS2 was a major teaching tool about the hardware and was the main reason why the PS2 could keep up with Xbox graphics.

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, hypervisor is the limit as to why you physically CAN'T get the power out of the cell on the PS3... But while the Cell processors is well documented, it's not nearly that straightforward for those used to liniar programming or even basic multithreading. I took a course in parallel programming and doing certain tasks it worked very well using many processors but taking into consideration the different shared caches and notes in the cell to realize a vision that will benefit from the Cell processor, while possible and certainly doable for anyone, is not a simple task.

12. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Wont happen any time soon.

To play ps2 games the console needs to be able to emulate the GS and EE chip. Sony created their own EE emulator, so the 80gb bundle that is ps2 compatible runs the EE emulator and has a GS chip on the motherboard.
    The reason Sony doesnt emulate the GS chip is because its hard as crap to do. If someone can manage to emulate the GS with software on the ps3 then you will see ps2 compatibility in all (hacked) models, but this will probably never happen for a few reasons:
    • Pcxs2 has been in progress for years and can barely run most games on a high end pc. This is an emulator built on x86, something that people know how to build an emulator on, unlike the Cell, which is still a complete mystery to homebrew developers.
    • Sony themselves dont even emulate the GS because its too much of a pain. Nobody knows the GS more than Sony, so some guy in his basement isnt going to stumble across a means to emulate it perfectly, or even moderately well.

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I think Sony doesn't emulate it because they would have no need to if they can just install a GS chip then.

Other than that, we can only hope. Where there's a will, there's a way. Although by the sound of your description... It's not likely to be soon.