Geohot is back??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darwing, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is delayed I havnt been on the site for about a week or so. I would first like to say all hail geohot! I'm so happy he is back in the game the kid is beyond brilliant and a huge part of the jailbreak community!

I'm guessing limera1n is a collaboration between him and comex? This is great that the two most influential coders are working together!

I havnt tried it yet but i just wanted to say welcome back geohot! We won't scare you away with our demands again!

2. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I keep hearing him referred to as "kid", how old is he?

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

4. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Dang, brilliant guy for 21

5. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

He was 17 when he first unlocked the iPhone and was 18-19 when he wrote the first software based jailbreak for it. He single handedly created the jailbreak community as a child of 17-18... He is just a brilliant kid.

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Like a moth attracted to a flame, Geohot needs the "lime"light like nothing else. And, Goehot broke a promise to Comex about not releasing his JB until after greenpoison. I would be surprise if they work together again.

7. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

If they were working together y would they release two different jailbreaks? What's the point to that?

8. chotumama macrumors member

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Geohot is a tool. Way to screw over the JB community for your own vain, selfish reasons.

I won't be using 'lame'ra1n.

10. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

They weren't really working together. Geohot kept the exploit to himself and surprise everyone with his last second tethered JB. Comex step in and help make it untethered. Goehot promise not to release Limera1n before Greenpoison. Goehot is a brilliant guy, but acts like an immature child.

11. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure we don't know the whole story and people like to talk and make up stuff

12. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

We only know what they twited. Does make sense. What's point of working, planning and releasing two JB a day apart.

13. Bijiont macrumors newbie

Intelligence != Maturity

I think that pretty much sums up my opinion on Geo.

( Those who don't program != is a "Not Equal To" operator in C )

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's because he's still a child.

15. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

16. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

When geohot first released limera1n beta forcing greenpois0n into re-development, I also thought he was being a tool. As the hours ticked by, I realized that geohot has done a service to for the jailbreaking community.

1. The exploit that he used was one that had already been used (found by comex), just not patched by Apple. So he wasn't giving away anything new. In contrast, greenpois0n was going to release a new exploit. Now Apple would be aware of two exploits to their iOS, not just one. This is to everyone, except Apple's, benefit.
    2. Greenpois0n was only going to be for the A4 processor enabled devices. Geohot's was for every device. This, too is for everyone's benefit.

Geohot was right in releasing limera1n when he did. It forced ChronicDevTeam to save their (unknown to Apple) exploit for future firmware (like the upcoming iOS 4.2). That's a smart thing. Greenpois0n is now being re-written to use the (known) comex exploit.

We only know what went on between geohot and the ChronicDevTeam via Twitter comments. What really went on privately is known only by the coders. Did geohot suggest to the ChronicDevTeam that the known exploit should be used? Did they refuse? If so, then geohot's release before greenpois0n was probably to the betterment of us jailbreakers.

If you have an iPhone 2G, 3G or 3GS, then you're going to really like what geohot did. Greenpois0n would have left you out in the cold. If you have a Mac and not access to Windows, you'll need to wait, but you'll get it.

I have an iPhone 4, and a Mac (but have access to Windows). I installed limera1n today. It was an incredibly easy jailbreak. I have no issue with any of the iPhone's functionality or any of the apps I have installed. I used my work computer (self employed - so I have no problems with my employer) for the update and jailbreak. My iPhone is synced to my Mac. But the update to iOS4.1 and the limera1n jailbreak resulted in my keeping all my installed apps and songs. The only thing I lost was Cydia and Cydia apps, that I re-installed easily. So if you have a Mac but have a friend who has Windows, then ask him if you can use it to jailbreak your iPhone. Limera1n is freestanding and does not use Windows installer. Simply delete the limera1n.exe file and it's all gone. You can update to iOS 4.1 first or use the iTunes on the Windows machine to update. Everyone knows someone who has Windows OS. As a side note, VMWare will not work. I don't think Parallels will, either, but I don't know for sure about this. Bootcamp does work.

Geohot did a very nice job with limera1n and it should benefit ALL who jailbreak their devices.

17. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Yep - I guess some of us are just bored :)