GeoHot is not the only one with a Untethered Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scoopex, Mar 30, 2010.

1. scoopex macrumors member

Facts

•This is a userland jailbreak, and can be patched. Same as iBoot exploits. The only kind that cannot be patched is a bootrom exploit, and none have been publicized for the iPod touch 3G, iPhone 3G with new bootrom, or iPad yet, as a bootrom exploit is much more valuable.

•There is no set release date.

•For any non-believers, this video conforms to the guidelines set forth here by MuscleNerd.

•Most importantly, if you didn’t already understand, this exploit is untethered

•It is compatible with both the iPhone 3G with new bootrom, the iPod touch 3G, and best of all, it will probably work perfectly on the iPad as the method is a bit different than usual.

http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2010...hrelated+(AllTechRelated)&utm_content=Twitter

:eek:

This is my very first post to these forums btw. :)

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Watched the video minutes ago (per heads up on Twitter)

Seems like jailbreaks are just popping out everywhere.

Isn't this based on the recently exposed venerability we expect Apple to quickly fix ?

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yeah, this has been confirmed to be a userland jailbreak that relies on the recently-publicized hole in MobileSafari.

Fortunately (per p0sixninja) this does not appear to be the exploit Geohot and ChronicDev have.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That's what I thought.

5. drunken0monkey macrumors member

Would it not make sense that the 3.2 iPad OS that has already shipped may still have the version of Safari with the bug and would that not mean that until Apple releases an upgrade for iPad (say 3.2.1) people may be able to use this to JB iPads on 3.2?

I realize this would be of little help for iPhones past 3.1.3 but still something, no?

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I imagine that is what people are hoping. Personally, I think there should be some coordination on this; perhaps the userland jailbreak could be released for 3.1.3/3.2 and Geohot/ChronicDev's exploit be saved for 4.0. No reason to burn two exploits on what is essentially a single firmware.

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I am just waiting to see which one releases their exploit first. Personally I don't care. I just want jailbreak back. I am so mad still that I had to exchange my old iPhone for a new one with 3.1.3 on it. Stupid iPhone battery. :(

The question is which one of them will try to be "first" this time. Remember before when the DevTeam was sitting on their jailbreak and then GeoHot released his. DevTeam then followed suit shortly after since Geo went ahead and let the cat out of the bag. It was kinda funny. Like a geeky little soap opera. :D

8. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Personally (which means its only in an opinion.), it would be stupid to release this before 4.0. We all know 4.0 will be hard to jailbreak or even find an exploit. I would rather wait til 4.0 comes out and then release the jailbreak. But I am not one of those people who have 3.1.3. :D(3g 3.1.2) But I would want it if I had 3.1.3.

P.S. I didn't get your post. Are Hotz and the other dude using the mobile safari bug or not.

9. drunken0monkey macrumors member

This makes perfect sense to me. I really see no reason to not release the userland exploit at this point. Apple has already been notified, meaning it's as if it had already been released. What's to gain from holding it back at this point? Am I missing something here?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Hope they play their hand right.

11. irthy macrumors member

i'm just grateful for there being real discussion of a untethered jailbreak for the new boot rom 3GS phones. I say sand bag that ish till 4.0. it's like 4 months or so away?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, at least 3+ months would be my guess.

13. ifruitfly macrumors member

drunk hit the nail on the head. the userland exploit is as good as released. so why not 'release' it? indeed, i would save the bootrom for 4.0 (new phone presumably), but there is no reason under the sun, that i can think of, why the userland exploit aught not be released. im not liking the scene behind bars. if someone already dug a tunnel out of appletraz, im ready to make a run for it!

14. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Won't apple fix the mobile safari issue by the time 4.0 comes out.

15. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Most assuredly yes, which is why people are saying it should be released now. I'm all for it.

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Doesn't make sense to wait on this... It's not a PWN 4 Life exploit. Might as well get as much time out of it as possible.

I understand GeoHotz waiting on his because if it's not fixed in the next hardware we have an entire new generation of phones Pwned.

17. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

Ya a lot of people would be pissed. It sucks how the exploit was released to the world. Might as well and for a sucky update like 3.1.3.

18. ifruitfly macrumors member

"It's not a PWN 4 Life exploit", ViVi, can you explain? does this mean that once patched, the JB would be lost?

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Any jailbreak that relies on a weakness in the phone's software can be patched by Apple with any upgrade, meaning that the same method of jailbreaking will usually not work across several versions of the OS. Only if a weakness can be found in the phone's hardware, one that cannot be fixed by Apple without changing the phone's hardware, can the phone be said to be "pwned for life" (i.e., forever jailbreakable).

20. anthdci macrumors 6502

So do we think geohots new untethered jailbreak is a hardware flaw, and that if apple release the next gen iphone with the same bootrom it will be vunerable to this regardless of firmware until they do what they did with the 3GS and change it mid cycle?

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No way we can know that. If we know, Apple would know.
    That is why it hasn't been released yet.

22. anthdci macrumors 6502

lets hope it is a hardware one then

23. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

p0sixNinja has said it's not the same exploit as Safari exploit. But to my knowledge, we don't know if they are hardware or software holes.