GeoHot quits Facebook..back to hacking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EvanLugh, Jan 24, 2012.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Here's a quote from the original (iMore):

With any luck, he'll be back on the iOS hacking scene?..perhaps Limera1n for iOS 6?

2. sirpots macrumors regular

don't get my hopes up lol

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Oh God I hope no.... Let's get his resume to twitter, or google or someone quick please.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Like him or not, you can't deny the kid is good at hacking iOS.

I'll put up with some grandstanding and a bit of arrogance if it means my iPhone will always be able to be jailbroken...lol. :D

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wonder what happened.
    Why would someone quit a company like Facebook?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

He is talented, but people like him are not good for the this community, we need people mature and that keep general interest in mind in order te generate respect instead of his own gain and fame. for people like him is that hacking is label as a medium for stealing and ripping off, he got not respect for other developers, and doesn't care releasing stolen code on his tools as longs as his face is on some type of splash screen, I am so sad that Sony didn't nail his ass harder.

Rumor has it that mark zuckerberg didn't let him change Facebook logo to HotsFaces..... :rolleyes:

7. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Mayb he didn't 'quit'..they let him say quit instead of 'let go'. Or was it an internship?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question. I dont think he was an intern, he was working.
    His still young and immature so not sure how he would fit in a corporate environment of a multi-million dollar company.
    He's got lots of growing up to do.
    Like Maturola said he's very talented but he's careless and a drama queen.

Damn it, Who wouldnt love to see his mug on their facebook every day:D
    LMAO:D

[​IMG]

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Lol funny how you guys speak as if you know him personally.. You know that tethered iPhone 4 jailbreak that was found in the bootrom? He found it. Who cares if he's arrogant, he's brilliant and was clutch at finding PERMANENT jailbreaks.

For the guy who said he was a bad representation of hackers and represented the type that stole and ripped people off, you're wrong. His entire premises for the Sony hacks was that it shouldn't be used to steal games.

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Oh, I completely agree with you. He's extremely immature and a limelight whore, no doubt about that. But he is good at what he does.

If he could just grow up and realize that he's got talent that lots of us depend on, he could be a superstar in the jailbreaking community. I guess time will tell if that's able to happen, though.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

as I said it...never denied he was talented, but the drama and issue he created on the community overshadow the fact he found that exploit, which is not that much of a big deal, some one would had found it eventually, there is a long list of hackers that had found exploits, and some of them are bootroom exploits and you don't hear about them since they don't have their faces on every tool.

second..no I am not wrong, while he stated that he didn't want people using the tool to steal games, it was proven (event on court) that he reused and distributed copyrighted code, he could had easily rewrote it, but no he decided to just rip it off and redistributed.

I will want him back when that happen, if he couldn't keep a Job at Facebook my guess is that we are not quite there yet.

12. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Coding is all about re-using code tho.. Sony was just being anal and trying to pin him to the wall.

And you say someone would have found the Bootroom exploit eventually? I don't think so. Face it, Geohot was/is the best. You don't like him because he supposedly made the "community" look bad, but the "community" doesn't really care, it's the opinionated message board population that does.

Nobody gives a ***** about a community when they want their beloved jailbreak, it's constant whining about "oh the devs are trolls" "oh they should tell us more" bla bla bla... Geohot releases it without permission from the Gods, I mean dev-team and you still complain.. Pick a side and stick with it.

Geohot > your precious dev-team face it. They have been piggy backing off others exploits the last two years.

13. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

amen brother!

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well, I correct myself people like Goehot and and yourself give this community the bad name we have, unfortunate. Sad that you consider such a person "the best" the one that never finished his tools, that rip off code and then when things get harder he just quit. and for the record... Coding is NOT about re-using someone else code, specially not without their permission.

15. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Who needs him when there's a dreamteam knocking out jailbreaks
    I always was under the impression he cared more about twitter followers than the jb community.

16. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Lol, what bad name? It's this community giving itself the bad name. Nobody else cares seriously.

Coding is about re-using code, at least that's what I was taught my four years of various programming courses at Auburn. I'm not saying blatantly go take someones code, take your own GUI and make it your own, no and i'm sure you know I don't mean that.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I care, as a person and as Developer, and I know a lot of people who care, it make me real sad that you were teach that "coding is about re-using code", I miss the day when good teacher push student to innovate and push pass what is already here to create new things, Sad day indeed when i read this from a "professor", but them again, that explaing why we have 45K fart Apps on the Appstore. :(

18. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I don't care what you try and say EVERYBODY REUSES CODE! You can re-use code to innovate. Idk what you're talking about. Why do developers leave comments in code if it's not meant to be reused? Why were classes and different objects created if code was not to be re-used? Do you know how many different games were created using Doom 95's code as the basis?

You hate half of the greats already because they all re-use code. Ask Zuckerfacebook guy, Woz, any programmer will tell you they re use code.

You ever heard of the open source community? They reuse code as well, I guess they are ruining innovation as well too. It really makes no sense.

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL this is where I stop reading.... LOL :D :D :D

Comments are made on code to be maintained, debug and improve,....Not to facilitate that someone else steal it. =)

Facebook (mark), the original Macintosh (woz & Steve), Basic (gates).. ... all reused code...you are right... :rolleyes:

The propuse of open source is to share resources and improve as a team, the only condition had always been to credit the original code/coder. No just take it and distributed. (or putting your face on a splash screen).

Anyways. it've been fun, my workday is over and i got about 45min of traffic to deal with, good luck, and keep copying code, maybe you can get the spot that Geo left behind at facebook.

20. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I don't give a dam if he is immature or rude.

He is effective, one would have to be ignorant not to have him back.
    Plus I doubt ANY of you know him personally, we should all reserve out judgement because we do not know him.

He copies or he supports stealing, whatever, haters can hate on him but he is good at what he does and that is the only thing that matters.

Not funny.

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Maybe Young Hotz isn't one for the corporate world, or felt that his talents weren't being used, or clashed with his bosses....there's a ton of possible reasons that he might have felt that Facebook wasn't a good fit.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Geohot works at his own whim. I don't think he'd be satisfied as a code monkey working on other people's projects on their timeline and to their specs.

23. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

hope he gets back to iOS hacking, pref a way to downgrade once all the morons accidently upgrade.

24. Arisian, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Bet he got fired for not wanting, or being able to, work on a team...

Though he's a talented hacker, his narcissism is obvious.

It's probably hard for him to keep a friend if he's,in person, anything remotely like he portrayed himself to the online communities...

Me? I'm super excited at the idea of him rejoining the IOS hacking community... because if there is one thing the world needs is more hyper-talented douche bags

25. swiftbmx macrumors regular

I'll take a whiny arrogant 20-something cranking out jailbreaks every firmware update than waiting around for teams to compile crash reports to find exploits.