Georgia Tax Free Weekend...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nyte3k, Aug 2, 2009.

1. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

Just wondering if anyone here took advantage of that this weekend and purchased a new Mac? Would be a pretty nice savings if you also got the student deal.

the Apple Store at Lenox Mall here was packed... had a line of about 100 people deep, as if an iPhone launched.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unfortunately in Taxachusetts instead of giving us consumers a tax free weekend they chose to increase the sales tax 25% I suppose they don't realize that many people will instead of shopping in Mass (and helping local businesses) will buy online or drive across the border to New Hampshire.

3. nyte3k thread starter macrumors member

nyte3k

25% really? Do you guys not have income tax or something? I know one thing that sux is Georgia is the ad valorem tax on our cars. I gotta pay mine in a couple months and it's going to be $471. :(

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yep, it's 25%. Of course, that sounds so much worse than saying it's going from 5% to 6.25%. In other words, for every $100 you spend, this will add $1.25 to you total.

5. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

That's not much to whine about. It's 10% total near Memphis.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8% in NY

came as a shock when I was used to paying 3.xx% where I lived in Colorado

OP: does this apply to cars as well? One could literally save thousands if that was the case

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That online trick is not going to keep working much longer. Legally speaking if you order online and do not pays sales tax you are supposed to send the money into your state pay for it.

States are starting looking for ways to make companies like Amazon collect the sales tax and send it into the state. It is going to happen in a matter of time.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Amazon has been charging sales tax in NY for quite some time now.

Quite frankly, tax on Internet purchases may be just the thing states need to get their budgets in order. Of course, they'll just squander it away and look for new revenue sources.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Read it again. Not a 25% tax, an increase in the sales tax rate of 25%, from 5% to 6.25%.

11. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

One of my friends just bought a Macbook Pro during the GA tax free weekend.
    And i've bought some school supplies, it's a pretty useful time of year :)

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Bah, I wish the UK had tax free weekends. 15% off would be pretty nice :).

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

We had a tax free weekend for the first time this weekend. Sadly, it didn't include electronics. It mostly only covered clothing type items, and only up to $100 per item. There's talk of expanding it next year. I really hope they include computers next time.

14. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Alabama has theirs this weekend but they only give a discount for computers up to $750 so every mac but the bottom end mini is out. Alabama tax free weekend generally isn't worth it. They only get rid of state tax and the really stingy communities and counties(It's alabama so there are alot of these) don't even have to git rid of of their city and county taxes so everyone ends of traveling 40+ miles to a town that is doing it. but then hey this is alabama, we still pay taxes on groceries and the whole state votes when one county wants to change something. because of this we have the longest constitution in the world with 90% of the constitution being its 789 amendments. Here's the wikipedia article, its an interesting read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Alabama

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

One of the things they added into the bill that started ours was a provision that individual communities can opt out of the weekend after 2 (maybe 3, I forget) years. I can see lots of our podunk towns doing this, just like Alabama. MS also charges full taxes on groceries, yet has some of the lowest taxes on tobacco. Our constitution isn't quite that bad, though.

16. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Our constitution is hilarious. The whole state has to vote when a county wants to change most anything. Such as promote themselves for tourism and there is even one to prevent deceased officials from receiving a salary. There's also one about exhumation of dead farm animals in Limestone county and prostitution in Jefferson County. Dueling is against the constitution and there is a proper way of annexing foreign territory. Also on our groceries we pay state, city, and county taxes on everything. Also our federal income tax returns must be claimed on the following years state taxes, so we get taxed on a tax return where we overpaid our taxes; when the federal government tried to stop this Alabama cried states rights infringements. Gotta love Alabama.

17. redking31591 macrumors 6502

forgot one thing: idiots and insane persons are not allowed to vote, though if this was followed many people including the governor and most of the citizens would be prevented from voting so they ignore that part.