Geotagging all photos without Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Xeblade, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Xeblade macrumors regular

I have an iPod Touch 4th Generation.
    I recently noticed the "Places" tab and was amazed that all my photos were correctly geotagged where I was not connected to Wi-Fi?
    I was curious as to how the iPod does this? As far as I am aware, the iPod Touch does not have GPS.

2. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Hmm... it doesn't have GPS, and you had no WiFi connection at the time you took the pictures, and yet the device KNEW your exact location at the time you took the pics? Errr.... ohhh.... that's kinda creepy.

I didn't know Apple was secretly dabbling in nano-psionics.

3. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

As long as there is a Wi-Fi connection in the area, it can locate where you took the photos. You don't have to be connected to the network, it just has to be there. This is how the "Find my iPhone" app knows where the iPod is even without it being connected.

If there wasn't any Wi-Fi networks listed then either there are hidden networks that are tagging your location, or Apple have spies hiding in bushes recording where the photo was taken and sending it to your iPod :D.

4. Rad-o macrumors member

5. gerbilbox macrumors regular

cobbyco is spot on, and I'll add that Wi-Fi has to be ON on your iPod touch for it to work, even if it's not actually connected to any nearby Wi-Fi network it can still use them to get a general location.

6. Xeblade thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, didn't know it could do that! Thanks for the perfect explanation.

7. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Wow that's pretty awesome. Ahh the wonders of technology! I can't wait to get my ipod touch 5g!! :D