Geotagging in airplane mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Warcake, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Warcake macrumors regular

I recently took a trip abroad, ensuring my phone was on airplane mode the whole time. I get back home, check my pics and am pleasantly surprised that all my photos from different locations in Indonesia were all geotagged accurately. Although I did access wifi in the hotel, I made sure I was on airplane mode whenever I went out.

As far as I know, airplane mode shuts off GPS. So I tested it today, taking pics in various locations in airplane mode, and they're all geotagged pretty accurately still. So whats going on here? :confused:

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Maybe your assumption is wrong or incomplete?

Maybe in airplane mode only the "basic" GPS comes on (doesn't transmitt anything, just receives) and not the Assisted (talks to tower) part?

Can't fight the facts right. :)

3. Warcake thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that is the only logical conclusion, maybe the gps chip still receives gps data while on plane mode. However, in all of the search results I've visited, they all say the gps is turned off, hence my confusion.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can also be located using wifi detection.

5. Warcake thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am aware of that but everything was turned off when I was out and about.