Geotagging in iPhoto...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Aug 26, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

So I know that the iPhone 3G has a geotagging feature so I was wondering if iPhoto made use of this in anyway?

I am thinking of maybe getting the new Nokia N96 when it comes out and noticed that it has geotagging as well as a whole host of other features.

Could anyone pinpoint any uses of geotagging that I may not have realised?

I don't really see the point of it!

Thanks

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I don't believe iPhoto currently uses this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new version does. I think Aperture can let you sort by location...I'm not sure on that though.

If you upload your pictures to Flickr, they will be tagged on the map with the tag location, so that you can view your photos (and others can) by location. That's pretty cool.

Geotagging would be more useful if you go on a vacation and can't remember where you shot everything...

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

SO are the coordinates locked away in the photographs metadata or something?

Basically does the Geotag stay with the photo regardless of what you do to it?

Thanks

4. .adam macrumors regular

Yep, stored in the EXIF data.

I think that any future edition of iPhoto will incorporate some kind of map facility where you can zoom to an area of the world and see what photos you took there. Kind of like Google Maps with photos enabled.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

That would be great and hopefully Apple wont be stingy and restrict the geotagging to iPhones. That would be a bummer...

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I'm not even sure if that's possible since EXIF information is recorded on virtually ALL modern cameras. It's not like the iPhone's Geotags are special for any reason...

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The Geotagging will be available in iPhoto '09 which is being released at the beginning of February.

It will work with the iphone, all phones with access to google maps and cameras, and all digital cameras with built in GPS devices. Other devices will be supported too. In addition you will be able to manually enter location data for each shoot.