Ger ourra ma house

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just wondering how old people were when they left home.
    I'm not planning on leaving home yet (22) since I couldn't afford to. None of my local friends (22-23 year olds) have left home either.

If you did leave were you forced out or completely on your terms?

Just curious this 'eve.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I left at nineteen to go to University. After I left and got a job back up here, I lived with my parents for about six months before I got my own little place sorted – I would have been 23 at that point.

3. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

I left at 19 to go to college. My brother left at 19, 2 weeks before he graduated high school and dropped out. Now that I think about it, my other brother left at 19 as well. Hmm, wonder what that means?:apple:

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I started boarding school when I was 13, but have lived at home summers and vacations since (I'm 20 and in college, live on campus), I fully expect to get an apartment of my own upon graduation (June 2010). Having lived alone or with other people from my age group only for the past few years, I don't think I could ever really deal with moving back home full-time. I come home late, don't come home at all, bring girls back, have parties in my room/suite/whatever, listen to loud music....all kinds of stuff that I'd feel kind of awkward doing at home with my parents.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i left at 18 then came back after college at 23 and stayed there until i got my job

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

18, when I finished High School and moved away for Uni. Just the way it had to go, too far to commute, got a residential scholarship so it was cheaper too.

Pretty standard age here.

Mind you I'm just under an hour away so it's not like I'm on the other side of the country. I see my folks a lot.

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

First time out, 21, second and never looked back, 23. After getting out of the Army, I had moved back home till I got a job, then out for good. Been out over 25 years now.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Suppose I had it easy since I went to a local college and uni so stayed put (that and couldn't give up on the bacon butties before class :p).
    And tell a lie. My girlfriend is current living away at uni, she left at 18.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i go to uni in the city which is about 15 mins away so im still home at 21. dont have enough money to move out yet.

so what do people think the age limit is if not moving out for uni?

11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I spend most of the year at college, but still consider myself to live at home, since that's where I go during winter and summer breaks. However, once I graduate and have a job I definitely plan to get a place for myself.

So assuming all goes according to plan, 22 :rolleyes:

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I left when I was 18, only a month after HS graduation, to join the Army and haven't been back - except to visit. Now, only my grandparents and my brother live in my hometown, my dad lives in Chicago and my mom lives here in Texas.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

18th birthday for good. Never looked back, never regretted it.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Talk about old school.

I left at 18. The reasons weren't bad, it was just time for me to stand on my own.

15. JBazz macrumors 6502

I left at 18. It wasnt exactly forced, but it was understood that when I graduated high school it was time to go.

I for one have never understood todays lingering childhood. And I do not buy it when people say they cant afford it. It isnt that you cant afford it, but that you cannot maintain your parents lifestyle.

Damn I really do dislike this spoiled generation.

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I've got a sweet little condo at school. I go and see my parents (2 separate houses) a few times a year. I've got my own life and really never was home after turned 17. I may sell the condo and move in with my parents for a few months when looking for a job after college. I'm in W.V. right now and parents live in the D.C. area and I am much more attracted to starting salaries in the D.C./NOva area.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I moved out on my 20th birthday. I couldn't take living with my brother any longer.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

depends how you define leaving home.

I lived at home until I was 20 (2 years of Jr. College). Then I moved away to Texas Tech for college. I did come home for the summer until my last 2 years at which first year I stayed in Lubbock for school and the following I was at my Aunt and Uncle's for an internship.
    My parents where my financial backers up until last Christmas at which point I got my degree and my own job. That would put me at 24.5 when I was completely on my own from my parents.

I am coming up on 1 years completely independent of my parents.

19. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Why cant you afford it. Get a roommate and find some dumpy little apartment. Later on you can look for something nice. When you can afford it.

Getting a place on your own is a very good experience. Age 22 is the perfect age to move out. You will have so much fun. You will grow both physically and mentally stronger. Plus if you screw up, your still young enough to move back in.

20. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you missed the point. it depends on why he is still at home. If he is in school it is understandble. like I said my parents where my money supply while I was in college even though I was more or less did not live at home.

Best part of being out of the house is my parents no longer make the rules and I make my own rules. I only answer to myself. I make the rule not my parents.

Remember as long as your parents control the money they make the rules. Your choices are to follow them or get out and be on your own.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I spent a year at school in Boston (not far at all, but too much of a PITA to commute, and I still went home every weekend :eek:), then transferred to a closer school, and have lived at home for the last 5 years or so...
    Maybe once I actually graduate and get a job, I can move out.

My cousin lived at home straight through to the middle of this past June, when he left to work on a cruise ship until January, which would have been his first time living away from home and/or family for any span (excepting a 2 week band camp, but that was at an in-state school anyway). He came back at the end of August. :rolleyes:

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was 19 when I moved out. I didn't have to, but was ready to be on my own.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

21, I think. I don't remember too well. Maybe 20.

25. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I haven't i am still at home (21) my brother has moved out with his missus