German 4g LTE new iPad carriers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SporkLover, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the three German new iPad carriers (vodaphone, o2, tMobile) offer 4g?

If so what bands? I'm interested in inning out whether or not my AT&T new iPad will work with German carriers.

2. DreamLand macrumors member

3. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, should have worded it differently, though I was just posting two search results from a quick search.

4. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

So does that mean the 4G will not work outside the US/Canada regardless of where you buy the iPad from? So for example, when iPad 3 gets released internationally, 4G will not work for people living outside the US/Canada, so they'll have 3G instead?

5. profets macrumors 68040

That's right. As of now it looks like the LTE bands included in the iPad are currently in use by carriers in north america only.

There is hspa, hspa+ and dc-hspa for global use. Still a significant update compared to the iPad2 (and even iPhone 4S), and I'd imagine much better coverage for those technologies.

6. garybUK Guest

garybUK

It's completely baffling why Apple has released the iPad with non standard frequencies for LTE in Europe, which is a internationally signed and backed standard of frequencies (800 / 2600), only the USA (Again!) has gone with non-standard, just like 3G. So why have apple sold us a dud here?

Germany has had LTE since 2010 (Vodafone).

7. Neil McRae macrumors regular

until we see one in germany not working I don't believe apple would be so stupid to launch a claimed LTE device that does not work in Europe. I also think they'd be sued pretty significantly.

8. profets macrumors 68040

Well, USA is Apple's home country and they have two significant LTE rollouts there. My guess is that's why they're going with LTE models on 700 and AWS.

Europe adopting LTE on 800 and 2600 makes it the international standard? Not trying to be rude, but I'm curious to see how these bands have been backed as international standards. I know 2600 is planned for use in Europe, US and Canada, but there are still many other parts of the world.

Heck, there's currently dozens of bands in use around the world. It looks like LTE could get worse than HSPA was.

9. SporkLover thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that article is stating that the new iPad will not support European lte bands.

On the German apple website they did not specify what frequencies the iPads sold there would support, hence my question.

I've got a good picture now.

Thanks everyone.