German Carriers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonemaster5S, May 24, 2013.

1. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Hey guys I am going to Germany this summer for vacation and was wondering what carrier I should use for my recently unlocked iPhone. It would only be for 1 month so no need for a contract. My grandparents have Vodafone and they say that they like it so would that be a good choice? Hopefully some of you guys live there and it would be most appreciated. I would like talk and text and at least 500mb of data. Thanks!

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

My recommendation is a Vodafone Callya prepaid card. For 20 Euros - 100 minutes of calling, .09 per minute after that, incoming calls are free, 3000 SMS, and 200mB internet flat rate before they throttle you down to 64kB/second.

To conserve your 200mB, be sure to turn off all push notifications and know that Maps uses your internet connection. Use WIFI as much as possible. Turn off 3G when not in use. Callya makes a HotSpot, too, if you need it.

If you understand German, you can even go to a gas station for this SIM and set it up yourself. If you don't understand the language, find a Vodafone store in any mall and they will set it up for you.

I have used this for 3 different trips with my unlocked iPhone 4 and I'm a satisfied customer. Because my trips were more than 3 months apart, I needed to get new phone numbers each time, but it's not a big deal.

Other questions?

4. iPhonemaster5S thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Thanks that does sound good but is there a prepaid one that gives you more fast data. Also is this 200mb it or is it half unlimited where after your certain amount they begin to throttle you? Are there any other plans/carriers that let you go to other countries without being charged? I will be going to Holland and possibly Belgium so I would like to use my phone there as well. Thanks!

5. ski2moro macrumors 6502

You get unlimited internet for a flat rate: the first 200 mB at 7.2 mb/sec and all subsequent internet is throttled down to 64kB/sec. There is a CallYa Summer Special that doubles your 7.2 mB/sec internet if you deposit 25 Euros on your account.

As I understand it, if you call from another country with Vodafone, there is a fairly reasonable rate available for telephone minutes. Vodafone does offer an option to have "international surfing" for something like 15 Euros per day.

On the last trip to Europe, I spent a week in Germany, a ski week in Austria and another week in Germany. Rather than pay Vodafone 15 Euros per day for international access, I bought a Austrian SIM for 15 Euros and had internet access all week. Granted, I had a different telephone number. Everyone understood which number to call to reach me.

My advice is to find a comfortable balance between the cost of being tied to your tech life and enjoying your vacation.