Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Peanut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
Hello everyone. Please excuse me if this is not the right place to ask my question. I hope you guys can help me. I'm a big MacRumors fan from Germany working for an airline. Every now and then (at least once every two months) I get to travel to the US and stay for up to 3 days. I used to have a T-Mobile "3$ pay per day" tariff. Last month I have accidentally changed it and could not go back because T-Mobile sneakily got rid off the "pay per day" tariffs.

Luckily, I only have/had about 60$ left on that SIM card. Now I pay 3$ per month (whether I get to come to the US or not) + either 5$ for 500MB per day or 10$ for 1GB for a week. Now this deal isn't gonna make me poor but I very much preferred the "pay per day 3$" option.

Does anyone know any other alternatives? All I need is data. I do however want to be able to make phone calls if I need to but I don't want to be paying money when I'm not even in the country and won't use it.

I have found something about "roam mobility" but am not sure whether I can use it because it seems to be for Canadians only?

https://www.roammobility.com/plans

Or am I wrong here? Plus I don't have an US credit card in case anyone knows about a deal which however requires an US credit card.
I would really appreciate your help guys.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Although they bury it in their site. They have a $3 per month pay as you go plan. $3 gets you 30 minutes or text messages so using either decreases both. Each additional minute/text is 10¢.

They also have $5 a day for 500MB data or $10 a week for 1GB data.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

So if you just need a few minutes when traveling here and since you visit frequently. You just have to spend $3 per month.

Although you could also use something like Skype or Vonage on your phone and make calls over WiFi. So you can call Germany without any international fees.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I would look into getting an Aldi Talk (Medion) Sim Card.
They have a variety of different rates, including a 24h-1gb data option for only 1.99€.
T-Com, O2 and Vodafone are by far the worst providers in germany for a variety of reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.