German visitors to US need iPhone or Data-only plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ski2moro, Jul 21, 2014.

1. ski2moro macrumors 6502

German Visitors to US needs to get an iPhone plan for 2 weeks in July and 2 weeks in October. They originally purchased an ATT iPhone 4 and an ATT iPhone 4s when they lived for two years ago in the US. The phones are now unlocked and on a German plan.

What is the most economical plan can they get for the short term? Consider both activation and monthly cost.

They will need about 500mB - 1gB for the time they are here. They will be calling only a few US numbers from their phone. They will Skype with Germany from here. Also maps, email, and internet. No music or movie downloads.

ATT is the better carrier, as T-Mobile doesn't have coverage around my house.

Is there a Pay-Go Sim that is economical for the short term - consider activation again in October.

Can they get a Data-Only SIM for those phones?

Can I activate MY iPad data plan and switch the SIM to their iPhone?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

I would actually contract AT&T in this case and talk to them and hopefully you will get some good advice on what to do from them.

3. Smith2000 macrumors member

Cricket Wireless

Cricket Wireless offers $50 for the first phone and a $10 discount on a second line. $90 total. There's no activation fee if you order online. They use AT&T's network.

If that's inconvenient, it looks like you'd be looking at $60 per phone directly from AT&T.

They'd just throw out the SIMs and do the same thing in October.

If you're up to it/want to give them an awesome gift, you could also add them to your AT&T account now, put it on vacation hold until they get back in October and cancel the lines at that point.

I don't know if a data-only SIM would work in an iPhone or if an iPad SIM would work if it was relocated into an iPhone.