Germany To Get UNLOCKED iPhones!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinstorm, Nov 8, 2007.

1. spinstorm macrumors 65816

from http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0711briefly.html

T-Mobile to offer unlocked phones in Germany

In order to comply with French law, Apple will offer an unlocked version of the iPhone when it goes on sale in France on November 29, but that country may not be the first to see a factory unlocked iPhone. While details are thin, sources are reporting that T-Mobile will provide an unlocked iPhone in its stores in Germany, as well.

The unlocked iPhone is not expected to be offered through Apple's Web site to German customers, however, and it's unknown what arrangement was struck to allow T-Mobile to offer the unlocked phone. Other sources, meanwhile, say the ability to unlock the German iPhone will be granted on a per-customer basis by T-Mobile as needed, not unlike other mobile providers that offer unlock codes to customers when requested.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is interesting news - and I do wonder if this means that 1.1.2 has the ability to permanently unlock the iPhone by entering an unlock code!?

In the past if you wanted to unlock a locked phone - even here in the UK - you would simply call up the Phone provider and ask for a code - they might charge you a small fee and you would have to wait 14 days for the code to come through BUT it would come and you would be able to unlock it.

I wonder if anyone here may try calling O2 AFTER they sign up for an unlock code.

Rememeber you have 14 days to cancel any contract so if this is the case you could sign up to an O2 contract and POSSIBLY get an unlock code before those 14 days are up so you can cancel and keep the phone for any network.

Of course there is a potential problem - if you then upgrade the firmware will itunes ask you to activate the iPhone again? Which you won't be able to do without a contract or will you if it is unlocked?

Of course I am speculating - O2 may NOT give you an unlock code and the new firmware may not allow it - it may be that unlocked phones will have a different firmware.

Surely however if the option exists in the phone to manually unlock it then one of our hacker friends will find it pretty fast!

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

it would be really cool if it was just a case of entering an unlock code,

but i kinda doubt it, i expect that would be really really easy for hackers to enter some code that unlocks all iPhones...

if i were apple, and were really really serious about all this unlocking lark,

i would hardware unlock and hardware lock phones

or ask providers to make a special shape sim, somthing like that!

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

so does that mean i could buy a german iphone unlocked and use it here in the us on a standard AT&T iphone contract to get all the features?

and when i'm in germany on business trips i pop in my german sim and have cheap phone prices in europe albeit not all the features (wich i don't need over there anyway).

that would be better than AT&T's international data plan. still not perfect.