Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

With OSX being streamlined with mobile devices and the common use of trackpad with the mac, I think it would be good to see Apple introduce the option (if you wish) to use gesture patterns to log in to the computer instead of a password. Or if not to log in, it could be used to unlock the computer after sleep or screensaver.

Obviously this may not be as secure in a public area, but for home use it would be much easier and more user friendly. You would still have a master password for Admin and in case of forgetting your gesture pattern.

I understand other technologies such as fingerprint and eye capture are likely to become more popular in the future and would supersede this. However this feature could easily be implemented now without any additional technology or purchases and could be managed from within OSX without third-party software.

I'm assuming it is unlikely to happen unless Apple introduced interactive / touchscreen macs before fingerprint / eye technology becomes more readily available.

I do not desire this features enough to justify buying additional hardware or software but see no reason why it could not be easily implemented with current trackpads and within OSX.

Thoughts? Is Apple likely to consider this in the near future?

Thanks

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Magic Mouse & NFC, just touch your iPhone/Apple watch to your mouse (or keyboard) and scan your fingerprint.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I have noticed that Windows 10 Preview has a gesture like feature to log into the computer.

You set a picture and you draw or tap a pattern on the picture to log in. You can also use password or 4 digit pin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.