iPad gestures vs. keyboard shorcuts

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rowspaxe, Jun 24, 2019.

1. rowspaxe macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

Many ipad apps have offered creative gesture controls on the ipad. But I always thought
    they were awkward and time consuming. Today I started working in Affinity Designer with
    a bluetooth keyboard and the experience was so much better. No awkward two finger
    undo, two finger duplicate, one finger break handle. Just pure productivity. Has anyone else
    started using ipad graphics apps with keyboard commands?

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

So you adjusted to it over time?

3. rowspaxe, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019

rowspaxe thread starter macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

I am arguing gestures are inherently less productive than key commands. Just like the
    pencil in inherently less efficient than a mouse for productivity tasks.

Another example is ios cut and paste. In ios 12 it is awkward and time consuming, and in
    ipad os it is awkward and time consuming. Anyone lining up to do this over a couple
    keystrokes.

4. Mr.Blacky macrumors 6502

So you want a MacBook, basically.

5. rowspaxe thread starter macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

I explicity cite Affinity Designer--I am using art apps that require the pencil. I am saying that
    complementary keyboard commands are far more efficient than gestures. Affinity just happens
    to be an app that supports this. I imagine photoshop will also support keyboard commands.

6. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

I agree with you!

7. omni macrumors 6502

I haven’t used Affinity Designer but I would HATE to use procreate with a keyboard. I can fly around in that app erasing, undoing, redoing, adding new layers, etc all without a keyboard. I would hate to be tethered to a desk or some other configuration just to be able to draw.

8. aevan macrumors 68040

aevan

While Procreate is great with gestures and I use it primarily without the keyboard, it is also great with a keyboard, too. And Clip Studio takes it one step further - you can customize it the way you like and assign a key to any action - just like on a Mac.

And still, I like running it on an iPad even more than on a Mac. For me, the iPad can offer best of both worlds - gestures AND shortcuts. Gestures only for on the go, and a combination when you’re at your desk.

9. rowspaxe thread starter macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

I did not know Procreate had keyboard commands--thanks