Get 16GB now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johng723, Mar 8, 2008.

1. johng723 macrumors member

Hey all, I was wondering...I have an 8 GB iPhone right now that I had bought a couple months after it first came out, but now my girlfriend needs a new phone. I was thinking of giving her my current phone and buying the new 16 GB version. However, I'm reading about how there's supposed to be a new 3G iPhone in the works so I'm not sure if I should go ahead and buy the 16 GB or wait a while longer and see if the new 3G iPhone comes out anytime soon.

What do you guys think??

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you want to wait til June, sure. I don't think they're going to be releasing any new iPhones before 2.0 comes out. Personally, I think waiting is a bad idea, and I'm sure a good majority of people on this forum will agree. There's always going to be something better in the works.

If you feel like you're wasting your money buying before a major upgrade, get your girlfriend a cheap phone and stick it out. If you like the iPhone the way it is, keep yours and get her a new one. I know I wouldn't want a hand-me-down.... :rolleyes:

3. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I am in a similar situation. My girlfriend and I will both be be getting iPhones, but we are going to wait for the 3G (or at least I am, she will probably get a refurbished).

4. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I'd say wait till June if you can.

iPhone 2.0 is coming in June, we all know the 3G has to arrive before 09, and with the new App Store allowing downloads over cell network, that's a pretty clear indication that their setting up for 3G...

Those are just some thoughts, however there's always the argument that the 3G iPhone has to go through the FCC first, meaning that it's at least six months away.

5. ross.32 macrumors 6502

People used to say it would have to go through FCC for any change made to the device, but that did not seem to be the case with the release of the 16GB, so my hope is that it would not have to go through the FCC. If it did, it would be six months of low sales every few months. I think it would be a huge disadvantage to Apple if they had to announce every proposed change to the iPhone 6 months prior to making that change.

EDIT: To make clear, not that they would have to go through the FCC, but they should not have to make it public.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

People say a lot of things when they don't know what they are talking about. Of course the 16GB phone didn't have to go through FCC approval, it's the SAME phone as the 4GB and 8GB, it just has more storage space. That would be the same as thinking that Motorola needed to seek FCC approval to release the (RED) version of the RAZR.

For a 3G phone, Apple would have to seek FCC approval. BUT, it would not take anywhere near 6 months. It takes around 4-6 weeks to get something approved, and it does not need to be on public record that a 3G phone is what Apple is seeking approval for.

I think Apple announced the original iPhone so early prior to sales simply to show it off at their key annual event, to make sure there would be a long period of hype and anticipation, and to make sure that they worked out as many of the bugs as possible prior to the June '07 release. I bet a lot of people waited on signing up for a new cell phone contract during that 6 months so they could get the iPhone.

If I were Apple (and god willing one day I will be), and I was going to be announcing a 3G phone, I would announce it as close to the sale date as possible to avoid losing sales. Even if that is 4-6 weeks prior to the sale date, that may be close enough. BUT, believe it or not, a lot of people don't even know what the hell 3G or EDGE even is, so it probably wouldn't affect sales too significantly anyway. If anything, at or after the announcement, Apple would probably drop the price of the EDGE phones slightly to drive sales, and introduce the 3G at the current or even a higher price point. And then...... game on.:cool:

7. ross.32 macrumors 6502

That defiantly makes since. I myself do not really care about 3G too much. Simultaneous data/voice would be nice, but GPS to the phone, and maybe double the storage size.