GET 2.0.1 For Free!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by frotomerket, Aug 6, 2008.

1. frotomerket macrumors newbie

i have figured out how to get the latest software for ipod touch without paying for it. you have to make sure you back up what ever is on your ipod touch!!! heres the instructions.....

before you begin, go to your computer itunes files and delete the firmware ispw file from your computer!! you have to do this or this hack wont work!!

1. go to settings-->general-->reset-->erase all content and setting
    2. now the ipod will start erasing the files, in the middle of the process, restart the ipod by pressing on the sleep/wake button and the home button simultaneously for few seconds.
    3. when the ipod restarts, it will say connect to itunes
    4. when you connect to itunes you will notice it is in recovery mode, and you will have two options update ipod, and restore ipod
    5. hit restore ipod, and it will ask you if you want to update and restore. hit yes and it will offer you to download 2.0.1
    6. hit accept and download the software and it will install it on to your ipod, and ur done.

2. georgeoommen macrumors regular

what version were u using previously?? 2.0 or 1.1.5?

3. frotomerket thread starter macrumors newbie

i was using 1.1.4

4. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

wow, this would be awesome if it actually works. I'll await others reviews ....;)

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

sounds like someone is trying to mess with us...

i figured out how to turn my ipod into a ping pong paddle...

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

there's an easier way, without downloading anything or erasing anything from your HD, but the update is really worth $10, so I'd recommend doing that instead.

7. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

i think i'll stick with 2.0. . i paid 10 dollars for it, and it's staying for a while.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Somewhere in the confusion of July 11, I got my 2.0 upgrade for free. Now that I've got it on my Touch, I wasn't asked to pay when I updated to 2.0.1.

Just saying.

9. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

Google ?

you can find the 2.0 alot of places if you look on google. just restore in DUF using that and after itunes will download 2.0.1..

i started with 1.1.4. got the 2.0 restore online "thanks to GOOGLE" restored to that and now itunes just downloaded the 2.0.1 restore file.

but from what i hear there is no changes in the 2.0 - 2.0.1 and it seems to have just as many bugs..

so i'll stay with 2.0 mine works NICE :D

10. Domenic182 macrumors newbie

Is a Jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch with installer on it better than one with 2.0 on it? I know this is opinion, but what do most think?

11. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I managed to used the leaked 2.0 to get the free updates and apps - though now I have paid for a fair few extra in the App Store.

Jailbreaking days are done for me I think - though I still stand by my decision not to pay for those Apple apps that should be free in the first place. My money does go to the many developers on the App store though :)

You can still get the firmware through torrent sites - risk is always up to you of course.

12. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

i noticed yesterday that on a.... um... reputable website (removed) that you can get... every iphone app for free. I would post a screenshot of the ...um... file, but I feel like I would ruin this thread. all I'm saying is that apple needs to figure that out.

13. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Just buy it, its not really expensive now is it

14. Claytybob macrumors member

Claytybob

Its Not Bad

$10 is not bad at all, if you have to, get off your rear and do something and get a sponsor, Thats What I Did!
    Hope This Helps
    Clayton

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008072820 Firefox/3.0.1)

but.... it has to be jailbroken, and you need to SSH a LOT of mb over to it

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I wonder if anyone bothers to read the forum rules before posting here.

Number 3 under Things Not to Do might be of some interest.

No, I'm not a moderator nor am I applying to be one but really, it's pretty ridiculous when you make a clear violation the title of a thread.

17. =Shadow= macrumors member

And besides, getting torrented apps off the internet for free is kind of pointless since most of them are out of date, and you most likely wouldn't be able to update them since you didn't actually buy them.

18. Tyris macrumors newbie

You make it sound difficult to download the updated torrent again...

-T

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's a free update, it fixes many serious bugs (most noticeably lag issues) found in 2.0. It's not as if your $10 for 2.0 is going to waste, as this is basically an improved version of 2.0...

20. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

This is stealing/piracy. I don't believe that this thread is still up and hasn't been deleted/wastelanded. $10 is not that much, people who steal software make the prices go up for people like me who save there money and buy the software legally.

Don

21. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

another way to get it for free for windows users is completely removing itunes from pc inc apple device support, bonjour and apple software update and reinstalling iTunes, it will tell you theres a new firmware out and give you the option to download and install, download only or cancel............ no charge is applied when choosing download option.

I was on 1.1.4 and managed to get 2.0 for free this way, I did nothing to alter the software in anyway or use the version checker xml file I just re-installed the latest iTunes from doing a downgrade and it said 2.0 was available no go here to purchase.... nothing