Get 24" LED ACD Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bobdard, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bobdard macrumors regular

So I'm getting my MacBook on Monday, which is replacing my MBA. I also sold my 22-Inch LG display to get the 24-Inch ACD. Now I'm thinking, should I wait for Apply to release new ACDs before I decide which one to go with? I like the notebook-friendly features of this one, but I may like a matte option better, if Apple does decide to release one (unfortunately this doesn't look like it will happen).

So what do you think? Buy this one now or wait for potential updates in January before making final decision? Note: I'm not going to go crazy without a display for a month...

Also, what do you guys think Apple will release in terms of ACDs?

I'm guessing they're going to drop the 20, since most pros (and regular high-end users paying premium for ACDs) will want the higher res of the 24. A 30-inch LED display would be WAAAY to expensive. I saw a Samsung unit a while back going for about $5000. I don't know if there was something special about it (nothing noted on paper, regular res, brightness, contrast)...

And even if Apple does start selling Mac Pros and Minis with Mini DisplayPort, the current 24" model doesn't seem like what they would position as the display for a desktop setup. It has a magsafe adapter on it, and it seems un-apple to have an extra adapter...or am I going overboard?

I guess with Apple wanting to go LED, and a 30-inch option being too expensive at this time, we may not see any updates to the line in January?

2. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Will depend on Mac Pro updates

Many are in the very same boat as you.

I for one was waiting to replace my trusty (but slow) PowerBook with a new MacBook Pro plus 30" screen.
    Then Apple screwed this one up by introducing Mini DisplayPort with no direct support for the 30" ACD anymore, but rather an adapter that won't ship for another 4-5 weeks, i.e. with Christmas and the holidays this likely won't ship before end of December...

Might as well wait two weeks more and see what's happening at Mac World.

Now Mac World is not a 'pro' showcase. So a new 30" display might not actually happen. Nor a new Mac Pro. This year's MacWorld did not see new Mac Pros either - Apple just updated them a day or so earlier via a press release.

Whatever happens, any new ADCs are very likely linked to new Mac Pros as new desktops will likely come with new graphic card options that either support Mini DisplayPort (or DisplayPort) - or not.

If there is no change on the graphic card connector, then there will likely not be any change on the monitor front either.

If the new MacPros change design and now use DisplayPort as the main connection then Apple will have to introduce new monitors as well.
    Likely one smaller and one bigger than the 24" LCD one.

But the sad thing is, it might be March or April until new Intel chips are available for new Mac Pros.
    So it might be April before we see a new monitor design from Apple.

I'd say it's either Mac World in January (or a few days before) - or March.