Get 3G now or wait for a new iPhone to come out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheZimm, Apr 5, 2009.

1. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

Well, my contracts up, and I have a touch (broken though - battery issues, apple said I have to buy a new one because there was water in it =/) and I'm in the market for a new phone, so obviously I'm gunna look at the iphone, but with all the talk about a new one, I'm wondering whether I should wait. Should I?

Thanks,

Zym

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

As with everything - buy it when you need it (unless you have like a 1 week wait until you know there's a big release event coming up).

Its not yet certain what Apple will be releasing, or even when.

May/June/July/August - who knows? They could show it off in the summer but it might not be released until later in the year.

If you want an iPhone 3G and you won't have that horrible feeling when the new iPhone come out (which I'm sure it will) - get it.

Can't you upgrade when the 3rd gen comes out, anyway?

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't wait....

The answer is rather obvious to "normal" technology inclined individuals.

4. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I'd try to hit up a cheap phone on eBay or something and try to hold out a little longer. Either you will be able to pick up a 3G cheap then or you might decide the new phone is what you want. It may not be out in three months but it will surely be announced by then. If you can live without a data plan until then you'll probably save $100. The best indicator I can think of to know for sure a new phone is coming out is that AT&T will stop selling the current model 30-days before so they don't have to deal with a bunch of returns when the new model hits.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I decided that, because I could get a refurb for cheap now and not pay full price for a device later, I would get a 3G now. I'm happy with my decision and never even think about regretting doing it. BUT...if the next device is absolutely amazing I may consider selling the 3G and moving on up. But we'll see...

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If you got a refurb cheap, that means you used your "upgrade" discount and signed a new two year agreement. Thus, you will be paying full price if you want to buy the new iPhone in June/July when it's released.