Get a 15" rMBP now or wait Broadwell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by educastro, Aug 15, 2014.

  1. educastro macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2014
    #1
    Hey guys, I am a software engineering student from Brazil and I will spend the next year living and studying in US. As some of you know gadgets in Brazil are really expensive so this is a great opportunity to replace my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM, SSD, etc. Pretty great machine that works really well for me but as this is an unique opportunity I'll replace it for a new one(a new 15" rMBP in Brazil costs about US$6000).

    My plans was to sell my computer here in Brazil(for something around US$1200, used machines here costs about the same as a new one in USA) and get a "late 2014" 15" rMBP with broadwell processor, maybe something bigger than 16GB of RAM, an updated GPU(maybe GT8xxM) but that didn't happened and what we have today was just a minor upgrade. I don't really need all this power, I only want a computer with a bigger screen capable of running some great games and that will also be a great computer for the next 5~6 years.

    What do you think? Is it better to already get the mid 2014 rMBP or take my currently 13" MacBook Pro with me to US and wait until the new 2015 rMBP with the updates that I were expecting for this year? I will stay in US until the end of August/2015 so until there I think that we'll see the next generation of rMBP.
     
  2. 960design macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Location:
    Destin, FL
    #2
    If your machine is working great and you don't need the power only the screen size AND you don't mind waiting at least 6 more months, probably 8-9 months then wait.

    Having said that, I really try not to play the waiting game. I get what I need when I need it, no sooner, no later. Currently have a MBPr 15" maxed out about 2 months old. My next one will probably have the Cannonlake processor.
     
  3. happygodavid, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

    happygodavid macrumors member

    happygodavid

    Joined:
    May 14, 2007
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #3
    I say absolutely wait if you can live with your machine for now and have the patience. If August rolls around and the Broadwell MBP has still not been released, you can still purchase the current MBP at a lower cost. :) I agree, however, that if you NEED a new computer now, just buy it, as other posters have said, without "playing the waiting game." Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong either way!

    Personally, I'm playing the waiting game, as my early 2011 maxed out MBP is still fine for my needs (music production, video games). Heck, it would likely be fine for the next 2-3 years, but I want to sell it while it still has some value.
     
  4. 1k9, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

    1k9 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    #4
    No brainier,
    Are you moving back to Brazil after the 1 year? If so-
    Sell your existing computer and buy a the new rMBP 15 top grade when you get here.
    If the new rMBP comes out while you still here in school buy that one also.

    This only makes since if your moving back to Brazil. Take them back to Brazil and make a profit selling one them at the rate they cost used in Brazil.
     
  5. TheArcher macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2014
    #5
    I would suggest you buy a new 15" rMBP. The Haswell refresh, minor cpu upgrade and RAM minimums, just happened. Apple would not have done this if Broadwell was on schedule to be released this fall. Broadwell will not hit until summer of 2015. Intel may release a variant of Broadwell by the holidays but these will be slated for tablets and ulv devices, not laptops.

    I am personally not waiting and am looking forward to my new 15" rMBP. I'll upgrade once Skylake hits which is the successor to Broadwell.
     
  6. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

    thetechfixer

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    The current model will be great, there is around 6 months until the next model will be released
     

Share This Page