Get a 5 or 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ItBeMe22, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

If you had a teenage boy witch phone would you get him. The 5 or 5c I know they are the same phone but witch one will take a beating and cheaper to fix.
    Thanks for any info.:)

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

5c has a larger capacity battery; other than that the internal differences are pretty much non-existent.

If it comes down to aesthetics I'd say the 5 is unapologetically macho whereas some males find the 5c a bit girly (personally I think the white 5c is the most handsome iPhone ever). But you'll be making him use a case, so it's largely immaterial.

In terms of durability my gut feeling is that the 5c is the winner; small scratches/chips on a plastic casing are somehow less offensive than similar marks on a metal casing. But you'll be making him use a case, so it's largely immaterial.

Re repair costs I have no idea, but if you/he are of a DIY persuasion then I'd imagine that the vast numbers of the 5 out there would mean that non-runners for 'salvage' would make it the cheaper fix.

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

The 5C supports more LTE bands than the 5 - quite a big internal difference.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

True. A US spec iPhone 5 isn't going to be able to use 4G if taken outside North and Central America.

5. ItBeMe22 thread starter macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Well the boy is just getting a phone. He is not leaving the country to join the foreign Legion that he will need all that service.:D

6. rigormortis, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

with the 5, you have to choose either a verizon LTE phone or a AT&T lte phone
    and if you decided to switch carriers you did not get LTE speed. and i don't think u get LTE speed on t-mobile

with the 5c,5s, iPad air and iPad mini retina, you get ( for its time) the best LTE chip around. and you can take it from tmo to verizon to AT&T and still get LTE speeds from all 3 carriers.

so its more useful in america.

the only other phone to come close to the 5c in the terms of channels is the google nexus 5 and its cousin, the dreaded amazon fire phone.

i would totally recommend a 5c over a 5, but you have to also consider , apple is only selling 8 gb models of 5c phones.

so if you want a new iPhone with lots of memory, u should skip both and get a 5s

a lot of apple so called experts and bloggers like BGR love going around and telling people that the 5c is just a 5 in a cheap plastic shell, and its cell antenna "is only a slightly better". i hate those bloggers. they really have it in for the 5c.

when the iPad air came out people were amazed you could change sims on all 3 carriers and get the fastest speeds to all 3 carriers. and the 5c came out , and it can do the exact same thing, but everyone hates the 5c. because they think the inside of a 5c is 100 % Iphone 5 part for part with no improvements at all. and its not true.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

He's a teenage boy

The 5C is cheaper and sturdier seems the logical choice to me..