Get a Load of this Rhetoric...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

NO MATTE

What Apple has to say about that:
    What world are they living in?!? There's going to be anarchy!

ON BLU-RAY

Interesting take:
    The TRUTH (as I've previously suspected) revealed:
    Source: Gizmodo/Engadget/SlashGear Live Blogs

2. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Gotta admit, its a beautiful looking case...and probably immune to all the warping/splitting issues w/ the past versions. It looks mint when closed, the inside black/silver combo doesn't do it for me.

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

At no time will 100% of people be satisfied with an Apple product.

Just won't happen.

4. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Matte preferers (like myself) just have to realize they are a tiny minority. It sucks, but it's true.

5. Fogtripper macrumors member

You might actually be right. The bulk of their customers may indeed be regular Joe consumer and not graphics folk. We're not the driving force anymore. That said, they might as well lose the "pro" name if they are targeting the average folk.

6. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well its possible, perhaps the majority of users on these forums are actually doing video/music/photo/graphics and thats why the polls are the way they are. Also, perhaps the majority of MBP users could do just fine w/ MBs and never use them to their potential. It still seems odd that Apple would stick it to the artists a bit in favor or general consumers on the PRO line.

7. Fogtripper macrumors member

I can dig it. That's why I think they might as well lose the "pro" part of the model name.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I suspect they're living in a world where they look at sales and make decisions about whether or not it makes financial sense to offer a matte screen. If matte were selling big, it would still be an option.

Anarchy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If anybody can find a could source of screen films that work to make them matte, please share the info. thank. :p

10. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Glad I got my matte 15-inch MBP earlier this year!

11. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

They wouldn't be trying to force a technology on people now would they? :rolleyes:

ps the anarchy statement was tongue in cheek but they are going to get bombarded w/ complaints from the professional/artistic community over that one. Everyone who buys $2500 computers to look cool in Starbucks & watch movies on are thrilled to pieces over this I'm sure. <--not sarcastic

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Obviously more people prefer glossy… When you sell the popular MB with glossy only and the MBA with glossy only along with a popular iMac with glossy only, what the heck does Apple expect people to be buying?

14. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of people prefer glossy displays, but some of Apple's most important customers, media pros, demanded matte displays in the past.

This is a market Apple has always taken for granted and I think dumping the matte displays is another example of that. After all, it will take more than this to make them switch to another platform... And indeed I (though not a media pro, a major matte-display fan) am hardly about to leave the platform over it.

15. djellison macrumors 68020

"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex"

Steve Job should be ashamed of himself. HP can do it. Dell can do it. Acer can do it, and, of course, Sony can do it. Infact Dell, Acer and HP will sell you a laptop cheaper than ANY laptop that Apple make - with BR right in there.

Jobs is lying.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What Job means, it's a 'bag of hurt' for Apple, cause they would have to reengineer their OS and hardware to accept HDCP, then maybe allow the BluRay folks to cut in on their profits blah..

We can still install BluRay and use it, though we'll have to do it ourselves.

17. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Even if half the MacBook Pros sold where matte, this would be a very "Apple" thing to do. They never have been very big on offering diverse options. Frankly, in looking at the pictures of the new design, I think they were simply avoiding technical issues that matte would impose. The glass plate is needed to hold the thing together and it would probably look stupid if the glass were matte.

18. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I don't think educated people do. And except on laptops, so-called "matte" is the rule, not the exeption.

I wonder though-will an external USB drive always work for any new movies that get released? I've heard conflicting things about whether USB is considered "secure" and whether at some point new discs might not play at full resolution.

That's really my biggest problem with these (and also one reason why I wouldn't use OS X right now). Blu Ray is pretty ubiquitous now, and I don't want a new piece of hardware that dosen't support it.

19. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Blu-ray is not a lasting format. Within five years, digital distribution will be the way to get HD movies, tv shows, music videos, etc. to your computers and TVs. BR is here for people who can't stand to not have a physical copy of their property. Why make a product more expensive when that technology is obviously going to be "obsolete" in a few years? Apple won't offer competition to iTunes offerings.

20. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

No format is a "lasting format", but it's going to be with us a long time. Possibly as long as ATSC is.

Lets see. Higher prices, no rental/resale market, MUCH lower resolution video/sound quality, no extras, worse selection...
    And to date Apple has NEVER SOLD A MOVIE ONLINE. Not one. Zip, zero, zilch. If something requires activation, you ARE NOT BUYING IT.

I would NEVER choice a so-called "HD" movie off of iTunes over a DVD, let alone Blu Ray...

21. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well thats exactly why they didn't include Blu-Ray and won't if they can help it. To be honest, in a few years I wouldn't mind having a 20 TB box (or whatever they can come up with) that can store a library of HD movies instead of having shelves & shelves full of the things. A central entertainment centre that can store all your music & movies and you can pull it up on your flatscreen TV via remote control.

22. Logos327 macrumors 6502

It will be with us for a long time but not as a powerhouse format like DVD. I am not saying the system is perfect yet, but it is far superior to Blu-ray in convenience and accessibility.

Your claim that Apple hasn't sold a movie online is complete Bull****. I know people who have an iTunes library full of movies and I have at least rented multiple movies as well. I can connect my current laptop to my HD TV and it looks great. No not blu-ray but I am paying 1/2-1/3+ the price and have it instantly and can take it anywhere easily with 100s of other movies.

So in five years when you have a bookshelf full of amazing looking movies great, but I will be happier because I can carry my small and light MBP to a friends house and have access to as many movies as you and more that don't look quite as nice.

23. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Well, obviously I completely disagree.

BUZZ. No, it's the absolute truth. You are not buying anything if it has activation DRM on it. You do not own the copy.

I'll also be able to take my movies wherever I want-only I'll actually own them, and will be able to play them on all sorts of devices in all sorts of places. I'll be guaranteed to still have access to them too. Not to mention I will have paid less for them, gotten what I wanted, have enjoyed vastly superior picture quality, extras, etc.

24. Logos327 macrumors 6502

1. Blu-ray prices are not dropping (players or discs) even though they are cheap to make (discs at least). The markup on those are 1000%+.

2. BUZZ (hardy har har)! NO there are plenty of easy ways to strip DRM and iTunes servers are not going down anytime soon.

3. I will be taking every movie I own wherever I want, I will actually own them, and I will be able to play them anywhere with a modern TV because of inputs. You will be able to carry a tiny fraction of the collection you have in the same space and won't be able to play them everywhere because guess what, Blu-ray players are not selling. I will certainly be guaranteed to have access to all of them and I paid $9.99 rather than $35.00 not to mention the extra $300 for a player. You get better video quality and extras now, but don't be stupid and think that technology will not be available for digital distribution in the next 5 years.

25. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Sorry fellas, but I'm going to have to side with Wolfpup. I much prefer to own the things I pay for than to pay for something that isn't 100% mine.

You aren't getting the entire package when you buy off of iTunes. That's why it's "cheaper"

No special features, no audio options, weak video quality.

Example:

The Office Season 4:

iTunes: $27.86
    Amazon (DVD): $30.99

What you get for an extra 3 dollars:
    1. A physical product.
      -Something many people put a ton of work and effort into, packaging, designing, etc.
    2. Special features.
      -Blooper reels, audio commentaries, deleted scenes, promo videos, etc.
    3. Quality and freedom
      -Uncompressed by iTunes, uncompressed audio and video. You own it. Take it where you want, lend it to others, rip it to whatever computer you want. It's yours.

In short: Physical media is going no where. Blu-Ray is the newest format, and it's making inroads in the market, there's no questioning it. I was an early adopter of both HD-DVD and BD and I'll always choose buying an HD movie on BD over buying on iTunes. For many of the same reasons I listed above, and because BD quality is about twice as good as the iTunes HD movie quality, in both video and audio.

But you're right Logos, someday it will be equal or better. Someday.
    We're talking about TODAY. And Apple's decision to exclude Blu-Ray TODAY. Not a year (or 5 as you suggested) in the future.

The one and ONLY area that iTunes has an advantage over DVD/Blu-Ray is convenience. The end.

Mike