Get a load of this!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by klymr, Feb 22, 2008.

1. klymr macrumors 65816

So, there is another forum that I visit for work, it's a jewelry design forum, and most everybody on there is a Windows user. There are a VERY small handful of us who use Macs, as the software is Windows only. Anyway, someone asked about running the program using Boot Camp and we got talking about it and this guy posted this comment to me:

So I asked him why that makes it a PC. I also told him PC means Personal Computer. At least that's what I've always been told it meant. What's not personal about a Mac? Does that mean any computer with an AMD chip in it is not a PC then? I didn't know Intel had exclusive rights to telling people whether their computers were personal or not. Hmm...?

And here is his response:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A PC is a designation (that should be) applied to any computer built since 1984 (as most machines before that were Home Computers). Regardless of build material, OS, or design. The actual distinctions should be related to operating system, as that actually dictates whether software works or not.

Major System:
    Windows (Version)
    Mac (Classic or OS X)
    Unix (and Flavor if needed)
    Linux (and Distro if needed)

This is how all systems should be classified, but so many people say Macs vs PCs. A Mac is a PC, it always has been a PC, and always will be a PC.

TEG

3. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

can you ask him when apple insulted his mother? because he's really bitter! seriously, tell this guy to get over it.

4. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i went to school with "the mac commercial guy," justin long!

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This whole confusing "PC" thing is Apple's fault really. They were the ones that didn't want to be classified as a PC but instead as a Mac. Heck, they still don't classify their computers as PC's.

Anyway, why do you care if it's called a "PC" or not. It's OS X that makes it so different and easier to use!

6. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand that, it's just his whole attitude of you are running a glorified Dell because you have a Mac with an Intel chip that is annoying.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I still don't see the annoyance. He CAN'T run OS X and you can. That's the deal breaker I'd think. Apple hardware is good but it really isn't all that much different from what Dell uses (he's right). Although, Apple's design of what goes around common hardware is another thing that makes it more than just a "glorified Dell."

So in essence:
    1) Mac's can run OS X, "PC's" can't.
    2) Apple hardware is much better to look at and use. No contest. Period.*

*This comes from many years of experience with a lot of different hardware.

8. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahhhh... I like that! I've never really sat and thought of it that way. You are correct in saying that OS X and Apple hardware are much better to use and look at. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

So it doesn't say anywhere there that a Mac is a machine using a PowerPC processor.

Apple have changed the processor platform their computers are based on twice now (they originally went from 68k to PowerPC chips in the 90s).

The definition of a PC:

So there. A Mac does officially fall under the PC catagory, and has always done since before they had Intel processors.

The difference between your Mac and his 'PC'? Mac OS.

The day Mac OS runs natively on PCs without a little bit of hacking is the day a Mac becomes a PC.

After all, Macs have always ran Windows in one form or another...

10. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, he's mad! Other people have been commenting in this thread and he is fighting back. I mentioned to him Final Cut Studio and other programs won't run on Windows and he wrote back to me:

And then after AGREEING with others about the worthlessness of Vista he made this claim:

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Just ignore him. Either he's just full of misconceptions, distortions, and outright BS and doesn't know it, or he knows it and doesn't care/can't back down now. Factually, his argument is completely hollow. Just rest easy with the comfort that while nobody's looking, he spends four hours trying to download the latest Norton Update/Windows Security patches ;)

Oh, and take that bet!

12. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Hahaha. Nice. I'll second those updates! Seems like we have a new Windows update every other week. Plus, I don't think a Mac would sell without OS X, unless we hit OS XI by then. ;)

13. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

yeh then i should read all the way through a hyperventilating column about some new virus attacking my windoze registry regardless of whether I actually HAVE a windoze registry, right? Grrrr...

Pet peeve: tech columnists who write about some strictly Windows-based issue without making it clear that's what they're writing about. It's plain lazy (and that's a generous construction of their motive for leaving out a line like "btw this does not apply to machines running Mac OS.")

So I'm at least partly with you: the operating system is a critical distinction in personal computing matters. We're way past the point where only a few hundred thousand people in the world own a machine that runs a Mac OS. If tech writers can bother with "does not apply to Windows XP" then they can also tack on "or Mac OS."