Get a mac mini server now or wait

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ghill13, May 30, 2014.

1. ghill13 macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting the mac mini server my question is what do you think i should do as of the new one that my or my not be coming.

my worries are

I love the look of the current one and don't want anything like the new mac pro

but the new one might have a far superior processor

also i need the 2 hdds which the new one might not contain

what are your thoughts ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wait until after Monday at the very least.

As for looking like a Mac Pro, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Apple isn't going to drastically alter the look of the Mini, its low end Mac to make it look like its highest priced Mac.

3. ghill13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks will i still be able to buy the old one from apple if the new one is not right for me ?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They'll get moved to the refurb section of the apple store, and other places like Amazon, bestbuy etc will still have stock in them.

Please note that any Mac Minis that go into the refurb section disappear very quickly as they're very popular

5. blanka macrumors 68000

NEVER get a Mini server. Since Apple dropped the price of the Server software, buying the Server model makes no sense at all. Or you must like to increase off-shore cash at Apple by an unnecessary amount. Just grab the base or the quad model, and put in any drives and RAM you like. Then buy Mavericks Server for 20 bucks.
    You're right that the new one might not offer what you want. Big chance Apple drops SATA bays for one PCI-SSD slot, which will even decrease disk speed. The current Mini offers 1GB/s RW in Raid 0 using for example Samsung 840 Pro 256GB drives. At least wait for the keynote tomorrow.

6. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

There will be no mention of the Mac Mini at WWDC. The only hope is if Apple soon updates the iMacs with the slightly faster CPU and TB2. Then an updated Mac Mini is at least a possibility but new models are probably more likely late summer or early Fall before the more important Apple product releases.

7. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

I'm waiting until after WWDC on Monday but I'm hoping for a new/updated mac mini.

If they is no announcement on Monday, I'll go ahead and get a refurb mini

8. ghill13 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just curious if you ordered the server version why you chose that versus going with a regular mini and getting OSX Server through the App store?

10. ghill13 thread starter macrumors newbie

well was thinking of going with the regular one but the server one comes with 2 x 1tb drives and i also got it on student discount so didnt work out to bad and it means it ready to go out the box for me.

and the drive would of cost 50-70 then the kit to do it around 20-30 and the time. Plus i don't like taking apple products apart to far down to fidelity with my big fingers haa don't mind ram and desktop parts but the little ribbon cables anger me haa

11. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Overwhelmingly this. I think the only reason they still offer the option is to steal from the ignorant.