Get a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tex-Twil, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    just a thought about the "Get a Mac" ads. Don't you think that they are getting a bit ridiculous:
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

I mean it was really funny in the beginning but now it is just all the time the same. And to be honest the "soooooo cooooooool" attitude of the "Mac" is making me angry ...

What do you think ?

2. tony4d macrumors member

I still think they're amusing.

The time machine ad though, I hadn't seen that before, and for someone who knows about Windows, Windows has had shadow copy for a long time. Although not as cool looking as Time Machine, shadow copy is the same thing.

3. acxz macrumors regular

If you don't like them, don't watch them, lol :p

4. HastaLaVista macrumors member

Thanks a lot for posting the link.

Even though I've watched them all before, you just caused me to waste about 15 mins watching them again! They are like potato chips, you can't watch just one!

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

LOL... I just watched them all myself as well. Perhaps they are getting a little old, but they're still much better than Microsoft's Mojave commercial.

6. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

it seems to me theyre more about bashing vista then promoting the

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP obviously doesn't grasp the art of advertising. The idea is not necessarily to get you to buy their product, it's to get you to remember the commercial and to keep you talking about them.

Guess what, the OP bought into Apple's advertising because he's talking about them. It doesn't matter if you like them or not or if you want to call Apple's commercials smug or not it's the idea that you care to even mention it. Once Apple gets stuck in your head you can't help but become curious of their product and then you end up an Apple customer.

Kleenex has done such a superior job at advertising that we refer to any tissue as "kleenex". When you go to the store to buy tissue as soon as you see the Kleenex name almost always people walk out with the real Kleenex.
    Some of you geeks here need to stop taking it personally about Apple's commercials, it's all about business and Apple has done a fine job at selling.

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more! But i think this doesn't have much to do with what the author of the topic is talking about. We are judging the niceness and correctness of the ad. As you said, it is effective, nobody is denying that. But it's not nice - it's not entirely true and instead of displaying positive things about macs, it's mocking PCs. It's not a very positive ad.

I agree that the first ones were much better, lately it's been more and more about simply bashing Vista. I'll repeat myself to be clear - I agree these are very effective ads, I just don't like people praising them so much. While they had a nice start, they turned into regular greedy corporate ads.

Oh, and someone mentioned the Windows Mojave ad - I'd say that's a nicer ad. It's a decent idea, they don't mention Linux/OS X and the thing about people bashing Vista without knowing what it's like is very very true - I'm speaking from personal experience. But this is a mac site, of course, so biased opinions aren't unexpected.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think they all make valid points. Apologies for the long reply, but you asked. Apple will shift gear soon enough, probably just before / when Microsoft starts burning it's Ad money in earnest.

N. American campaign
    Accident – Magnetic power cord
    Angel/Devil – iPhoto
    Better – Handling media - Music, pictures, video
    Better results – Home movie making
    Boxer- PC wants to rumble – not down without a fight Mac sees it not as a competition but rather people switching to a computer that's simpler and more intuitive.
    Breakthrough – Problems for PC with software & hardware
    Choose a Vista – Vista’s licensing problem
    Computer Cart – Cryptic Windows errors, and their frequency
    Counselor – Mac being compatible with PC, complementing PC on Excel
    Flashback – Ability of Mac to make a website and home movie
    Genius – Mac’s Apple Genius Bar
    Gift Exchange – iPhoto of Mac, Programming language of the 2 OSs
    Goodwill – Nearly Christmas goodwill
    Group – Vista issues - isn’t working as it should, errors
    iLife – iPod, iTunes, iLife coming with every Mac
    Meant for Work – Stickerless well designed aesthetic Mac vs…
    Misprint - PC World - "Fastest Windows Vista notebook tested that year was a Mac
    Network - Mac & PC can network together, but Mac is compatible with other hardware without needing as much driver installation
    with virtually all new hardware.
    Now What – The complexity in buying a PC vs. a Mac, Apple stores, personal shoppers, workshops
    Office Stress – Mac’s Microsoft Office 2008 & Mac compatibility with PC
    Out of the Box – Macs can work straight from the box (No step 3 )
    Pep Rally – Mac’s #1 status on college campuses, in-built iSight camera, stable OS
    Party is Over – Need for upgrades to use Vista and peripherals and software incompatability
    Podium – Denial about Vista’s problems, compatibility issues, new features of Mac OS X, downgrading of Vista to X, "It's not about what Vista can do for you, it's what you can buy for Vista."
    PR Lady – Bad use of PR by Microsoft, negative public reaction to Vista, downgrading, switching to Mac
    Referee – WSJ comments that Leopard is better & faster than Vista
    Restarting – Freezing/rebooting issues of Vista/XP
    Sabotage – Delusional PR about Vista/XP
    Sad Song – Switchers to Mac, Vista’s issues,
    Sales Pitch – Mac’s increasing popularity, badly done Windows’ sales pitches
    Santa Claus – Nearly seasonal goodwill
    Security – PC is coming to a sad realization "cancel or allow" (UAC)
    Self Pity – Mac has run Microsoft Office for years
    Stuffed – Crapware on new PCs, iLife in comparison
    Surgery – Upgrades needed to g of spyware and viruses on Mac OS X
    Viruses – “114,000 known viruses for PCs." Lack of viruses for Mac
    Work vs. Home – Mac can do podcasts, movies.
    WSJ – Mac’s favorable review in WSJ
    Yoga –PC unfortunately had “bad Vista energy", problems

Web exclusive campaign
    Banging – Problems with Vista
    Hiding – Viruses, spyware, the pain of scanning
    Knocking – Vista’s driver issues
    PC Turf - How PCMag and PCWorld have given good reviews for Mac
    Sign –DON'T GIVE UP ON VISTA". GIVE UP"…"ON VISTA".
    Not – WSJ - "Leopard is better and faster than Vista"
    Emergency Refresh - "Vista... one et Vista, Macs compatibility with peripherals
    Tech Support – Mac’s built in webcam vs. lack of ease of installing one on a PC
    Time Machine – Time Machine
    Touché – Mac says "And I'm a PC too…the only computer you'll ever need."
    Trust Mac – Spyware on PC, lackof the biggest blunders in technology?" -CNET.com; "It's time for a Vista do-over" - PC Magazine; "Mac OS X Leopard: A Perfect 10" - InfoWorld.
    PC Newswire – Potential headlines – glitches, downgrading

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

You just listed the topics, you didn't prove they are correct. Apple didn't make any of these up, but they are often exaggerating and stating things that are no longer true. A LOT of these are actually relying heavily on different stereotypes about PCs.

11. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think you don't grasp the meaning of my question. "What do you thin about it"

Exactly. I'm not talking about how effective the ad is or about what is a good or bad ad.

I just thought that the 1st ones were really original and now it is just getting worse and worse. The one with PC singing the blues is just completely ridiculous , boring, ... just too much. Knowing Apple and its innovative things, I'm surprised that they've been stuck with this same idea for 3 years.

I have nothing about Apple making fun of Microsoft, those are just business rules and they are tough.

regards,
    Tex

12. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Yeah i dont like them ads, funny once now its just boring

13. kolax macrumors G3

Must say, I've never opened a bag of crisps and just watched them.

14. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Are they even running those ads anymore? I don't recall seeing one in the last month or so.

Some of the earlier ones were amusing, but later ones feel like they had different writers - not nearly as fun to watch.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I don't need to, it's out there and true at the time, and many still stand. Care to refute the majority below?

Magnetic power cord CHECK
    iPhoto CHECK
    Handling media - Music, pictures, video CHECK
    Home movie making CHECK
    Vista’s licensing problem CHECK
    Cryptic Windows errors, and their frequency CHECK
    Mac being compatible with PC, complementing PC on Excel CHECK
    Ability of Mac to make a website and home movie CHECK
    Mac’s Apple Genius Bar CHECK
    Vista issues CHECK
    iLife CHECK
    Stickerless well designed aesthetic Mac CHECK
    PC World - "Fastest Windows Vista notebook tested that year was a Mac CHECK
    Complexity in buying a PC vs. a Mac, Apple stores, personal shoppers, workshops CHECK
    Mac’s Microsoft Office 2008 & Mac compatibility with PC CHECK
    Macs can work straight from the box (No step 3 ) CHECK
    Mac’s #1 status on college campuses, in-built iSight camera, stable OS CHECK
    Denial about Vista’s problems, compatibility issues, new features of Mac OS X, downgrading of Vista to X, "It's not about what Vista can do for you, it's what you can buy for Vista." CHECK
    Bad use of PR by Microsoft, negative public reaction to Vista, downgrading, switching to Mac CHECK
    WSJ comments that Leopard is better & faster than Vista CHECK
    Delusional PR about Vista/XP CHECK
    Mac’s increasing popularity, badly done Windows’ sales pitches CHECK
    PC is coming to a sad realization "cancel or allow" (UAC) CHECK
    Mac has run Microsoft Office for years CHECK
    Crapware on new PCs, iLife in comparison CHECK
    Upgrades needed to g of spyware and viruses on Mac OS X CHECK
    “114,000 known viruses for PCs." Lack of viruses for Mac CHECK
    Mac’s favorable review in WSJ CHECK

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I have to admit that they are getting a bit annoying and old. I also haven't noticed a new one in a while (is the vista blues the latest?) is Apple going to start a new ad campaign soon?

Don

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I hear Microsoft is paying for it... IT started with the Mojave experiment ;)

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

And I still stand by what I said. You state that the ads are getting ridiculous and boring right? But you're still talking about them and that's the art of good advertising. If they were really truly that boring nobody would be talking about them. It doesn't matter if they use the same concept, they are working. If you are just looking for Apple style entertainment the ads may not be the right place.

The forum is designed to give opinions on topics, I didn't think we had to say exactly what you wanted.
    If you were just asking the forum if we agree with you that the ads are getting tired you should've created a poll where we could answer only yes or no.

19. Bigtree macrumors 6502

20. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie