Get a Macbook Air now or wait for new MacBook Pro 2012 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Apr 3, 2012.

  1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #1
    Hello there, So I've been looking at getting a new laptop for awhile now and am in need of one for school among other things. At the moment, I've been surviving off my iPad since my last laptop took a dump. I see that Best Buy has recently started selling the 1.8Ghz version of the Macbook Air and its REALLY tempting me. However, I keep hearing that this slimmed down or "macbook air-like" macbook pro is getting ready to realease this month in April...so my question is should I get the Macbook Air now or just hold off until the Macbook pro is announced this month (or will it wait until Summer?)
     
  2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
  3. fruitycups macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    #3
    Wirelessly posted

    How much for 1.8ghz macbook air?
     
  4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    #4
    What do you do with your computer? If it's nothing intensive, the current Airs are fine and you really don't need to waste the extra money for the faster processor and discrete graphics.

    Are you desperately needing it? If you can hold off a few months and use your ipad for longer the Airs will be updated sometime in the next few months I believe.
     
  5. fruitycups macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    #6
    Wirelessly posted

    Wait +1 im in the same situation. Slimmed down macbook pros? If true means that macbook air line will disappear.. If that happens the macbook air u buy will be obsolete.

    Just wait
     
  6. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #7
    Here's what I mainly do in my day to day tasks:

    -Mostly Internet
    -Some light emailing
    -iTunes
    (Those 3 are usually done all at the same time)
    -iPhoto (importing from my Canon 60D)
    -Using Handbrake maybe 3-6 times a month to rip some DVD's
    -I use Vuze quite a bit to convert video formats...among other things of course.

    And that pretty much sums up what I do
     
  7. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #8
    If you really need it now then buy it. But if you can wait then wait. If nothing the old models will get even cheaper.
     
  8. roofz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #9
    Similar to what I do, and tbh a current MBA would suit us just fine.. but i'm waiting for the new MBP just to future-proof myself as I would like to use the machine for 4-5 years.
     
  9. Smiller4128 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #10
    So a 1.8ghz MacBook air would be just fine though huh?
     
  10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #11
    If you can wait, then wait. The new MacBooks and MacBook Airs will be faster than your current computer.

    I suggest trying one out in Best Buy and see what you think. If the performance is reasonable, then get the computer.

    Bottom line is, there's always something better around the corner. Don't buy until you absolutely have to (whether it's because of a time deadline or an unbeatable sale price.)
     
  11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #12
    Don't expect to be ripping any DVDs on a new MBP... unless you get an external drive that is.
     

Share This Page