Get A MB Pro Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    I got a MacBook last June and I know I should have waited and got a MacBook Air, lol, but I didn't. Oh well.

    I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro soon, and I order this or next weekend. This is my question-I heard some people talking about a redesigned MacBook Pro due for this Fall.

    Is there just going to be a new processor or completely new features/design? I don't want this to happen to me again just like last year.

    If I do get it now, what will I miss?

  2. peterdevries macrumors 68040


    Feb 22, 2008
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Check this:

    My personal guess is that Apple will probably announce a revamped MBP at the next conference in 2009. Until that time there will be a performance upgrade to a new processor and probably harddisk size.

    If you need one get one. You can always sell it again, they have great resale value.
  3. serdaryilmaztr macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2008
  4. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    Do you think I need Quad Core? What's so special about quad core?

    I don't NEED to get it, but I WANT to get it...

    Should I wait? Big difference between now's MBP and the new upcoming MBP?

    This is what I usually do:
    -Sometimes Halo
    -Mail, spreadsheets, presentations, word editing, normal stuff.
    -Movie editing with iMovie, designing/making websites, messing with photoshop.
    -Play online RPG games.
  5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

    Mar 4, 2008
    I think you'd probably be well suited to buy one now, I do all the same things except for the Movie editing, but I do do video encoding, and my 2.2ghz has worked flawlessly for me.

  6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020


    May 28, 2008
    well, as we've already said, there are a lot of threads about this and you'll find all the info you need there.
    To sum up:
    - nobody knows when Apple will upgrade the current MBPs (all are just rumors, not facts)
    - If you NEED one, get one. If you just WANT one (as I do) just wait & see.

    cheers ;)
  7. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    Awesome... I saw my friend's MacBook Pro... It's awesome, with Vista on it. :)

    No, I don't need one... I want one, lol... Just wait and see... Not very good idea, but good enough. That was the mistake I did.
    Anyone know if a new major redesign/feature is coming up within the year?
  8. johngardiner macrumors regular

    May 13, 2008
    It sounds like you have the same usages out of a Macbook Pro as myself. I wrote a quick review that might be a few pages back now, but worth checking out. I play Age of Conan, COD4 etc on mine and it runs them all great with the 512mb video card. I'd say it's a buy!
  9. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

    Neutral Gamer

    rekhyt mate, if you've looked at any other threads about this you'll know that quite a few people (myself included) are waiting for the Montevina release in July from Intel. Hopefully sometime near then Apple will release updated MBPs and if we're REALLY lucky (*crosses fingers*) we might even see a redesign!

    So my advice? If you're able to then wait at least a month. ;)

    In the meantime you may wish to check out and subscribe to these threads:

    If you don't know already (I assume you don't cos you're a Newbie) you can subscribe to a thread so that you can see when it's updated by opening the thread and clicking on the "Thread Tools" option. Afterwards you'll be able to keep an eye on all your subscribed threads by clicking on the "User CP" link at the top of of most MacRumors pages.

    Hope that helps. :)
  10. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    Hmm, thats the sad thing about it. I'm getting the 256 mb video card one cause the 512 MB is too expensive...

    Will I be missing out a lot of things?

    Hmm, new post. Ok, I'm going to wait for the new release in July... :| Hopefully it'll be in Hong Kong in Mid June, because that's where I'm going to go. I know how to subscribe, I have been in forums already.
  11. andrewisnot macrumors member


    Jun 19, 2008
    West Coast BC
    Don't wait. I was on the fence for a long time before purchasing a 17" Penryn. Now I regret that I waited so long!
  12. notjustjay macrumors 603


    Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I did it!

    After months (years?) of waffling, I finally pulled the trigger last night on a refurb MacBook Pro. Not the current model, but the one before it (2.2 GHz, no multi-touch trackpad). They pop up in the store now and again, and yesterday was my lucky day.

    Here's hoping that I get a good one, maybe with some bonus upgrades :D, and hopefully it's good enough to last me as long as my 12" PowerBook did (5 years)...
  13. MPHL macrumors regular


    Apr 7, 2008
  14. johngardiner macrumors regular

    May 13, 2008
    No you won't be, my roomate has the 256 version and plays the same things I do... maybe at 5 fps less but not noticeable!
  15. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    Hmm... But isn't the new revision going to be in one month? I think that's worth waiting if theres something...

    Thanks for reassuring me. :) I'm going to get the 200 HD space upgraded to the 250 one.

Share This Page