Get a new number before or while ordering iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by douglaswilliams, Jun 14, 2010.

1. douglaswilliams macrumors member

My wife will be joining my number to start a Family Plan. Should we get the new number set up before we try to online pre-order or can we set up a new phone number while ordering?

We will be ordering through Apple.

2. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I have a similar question, since my wife has an iPhone and I'm so tired of my work phone that I'm getting one as well. Hers (actually my old iPhone) will be the primary line, but to convert that to a Family Plan and add the new iPhone, what's the process?

Do i just activate the new phone, get a new number, pick a voice/data plan, etc. and then bring it to an AT&T store to convert her phone the the family plan and add my phone?

What i don't want to happen is to setup the new phone and then have them say "Oh sorry, you already committed to a 2-year contract on that, so you can't add it under a Family Plan.."

I think I'll just get the phones in hand, then bring them to a store to setup.

3. douglaswilliams thread starter macrumors member

How will you "get them in hand"? Won't you need to have the new number to give to Apple (if you are ordering through apple) before you are even able to make the order to get it in hand?

4. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

No, you just order it as a new line. They come locked down and you can't do anything with them until you connect it to iTunes and setup your AT&T account.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Guys, if you are pre-ordering through Apple or AT&T, you will have choice to use your existing number for existing customers, new customers will have a choice to provide their existing number and port it to AT&T.

You enter all the information during the pre-order, request a new number, pick a plan, pick a data plan.

How to see if you can port your exiting carrier number to AT&T

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

Now that you have the basics, what is your next question?

Dave

6. douglaswilliams thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Dave. That's great that you can set up your ATT minutes plan and data plan and stuff through Apple's website.

When I set up my phone (in 1998) they gave me a list of phone numbers and I got to pick the one I wanted. Can you do that through apple.com while ordering a new line/new iPhone 4? Or do you just have to take what they give you?

7. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Do you HAVE to port an existing number to order online or will it give you the option to generate a new number online?

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You have a choice of a new number or to start the port pre-steps.

I would suggest that you consider ordering a new number and testing the AT&T service in your area before porting your number. You have 30 days to port without addtional fees and you also don't risk losing your plan on your other carrier if you decide to go back.

You don't get to pick from a selection of new numbers with the pre-order process. If you really want that flexibility consider going to the AT&T store for assistance with your order.

Dave