get a new phone unActivated and use old sim with no contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejrizo, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

since people are being sent home with unActivated phones can i go get one and pop in my old sim card and continue with that plan?

Please someone say they have done this or tried this?

or are they making you sign a paper contract? i doubt this...

please share your experiences at both apple and att stores

thank you

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I came home with an unopened box, but you MUST sign a contract with ATT first.

3. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

were you at an ATT store or were you at an apple store?

Paper contract with Att im assuming?

i doubt apple will have that so maybe my best luck is an apple store?

4. shebax macrumors newbie

We didn't sign a paper contract. But, we did sign electronically and awknowledge it was going into a family plan.

I wouldn't bother. AT&T is getting strict about unactivate phones on their network/phones on their network not being charged. They tried to get my Dad (who didn't do a thing wrong) about not activating a phone he bought with them. I think its just more precautions they're taking. They do take your SSN and your drivers license, so I mean...they know who you are.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't think so. According to AppleInsider's writeup of buying an iPhone 3G from an Apple Store, they had to sign (on the Apple portable EasyPay device they use to ring up the sales) the same contracts.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...nce_activating_iphone_3g_at_apple_retail.html

AT&T mentioned that you can buy one for no-contract later on .. $599/$699.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I doubt that AT&T or Apple would let you get away with that one. They scanned my iPhone box, typed my phone number into their computer, swiped my credit card, and told me to activate at home and to restore my iPhone. The new 3G iPhone was "bricked" for about 2 1/2 hours before I was finally able to connect with the iTunes Store and restore my photos, movies/video, music and contacts like my first iPhone. Took several tries and a call to Apple, then AT&T, before they said to keep trying, b/c the iTunes Store was very busy...:cool:

7. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i see i wasnt sure about the whole signing thing ... hmmm.. i knew att was selling them later for 599 and 699 but i was trying to score one for $199

if this doesnt work i will get a new one activate it and then pay the early termination fee will still be cheaper.