Get a Pro now, or is there a HW update looming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surfmonkey89, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. surfmonkey89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    #1
    I have an original MacBook from three years ago that's starting to fall apart, so I need to think about a replacement.

    Has anyone heard of looming HW updates for the MBP, or am I reasonably safe buying one now?
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
  3. surfmonkey89 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
  4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

    numbersyx

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #4
    If they were released in October the next ones are probably due out in April/May.
     
  5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #5
    There's always some kind of a hardware upgrade coming :p
    But I say buy now, because the most that will be upgraded is a tiny bump in processor speed and maybe a bigger HDD standard or bigger SSD option or something along those lines. So in reality, nothing ground breaking.
     
  6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    #6
    this won't probably help you out much since I don't have any insider information, but if you need to replace it, then buy now. Otherwise, wait for possible updates.
     
  7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #7
    It should, neutral means there are no impending updates.
     
  8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #8
    How desperate are you for one?

    The next update will be in July which wont be a hardware update at all, just a software update in the form of Apples new operating system Snow Leopard

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/snowleopard/

    However you can always buy a Macbook now and install it when it comes out, because hey, who knows, it could take longer to come out than July and come out in August/September instead, and it wont cost more than $129 anyway.

    So to summarize, now is basically a great time to buy, no future hardware updates on the horizon for the Macbook, and if one does happen, its only going to be a very slight speed bump anyway, which isn't worth waiting for.
     
  9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

    winninganthem

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #9
    Unibody just came out not too long ago. If you want one, go buy one. Either way you'll still get a good machine.
     
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #10
    There is a hardware update every six months, give or take a month and a half.

    Therefore, there is always an update "looming".

    As long as you don't buy anywhere from a month to a day before an update, you have no regrets.

    Buy now.
     
  11. eldivino macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2009
    #11
    I agree. Buy now. HW updates are always looming. When they are updated it wont be more than a speed bump..
     
  12. surfmonkey89 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    #12
    Yea, but what about a possible matte screen?

    That's the only thing I wonder about...
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #13
    If you paid attention at MacWorld, you'd know that there will be no matte option for the 15".
     
  14. gkp macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    #14
    I am happy with mine!

    I struggled for WEEKS on this issue..even posted on macrumors and appleinsider, looking for suggestions...well I can say to you, I bit the bullet, went to the apple store and bought it! OMG! it is amazing!
    I got the 2.53ghz MBP and I have 0 regrets.
    Also, I researched my a** off about getting good prices online, but if anything happens to my beloved new addition, I can take it to the apple store instead of mailing it in (which is what I believe they make you do)

    Just DO IT!
    Buy it! you will be so happy!!
    Good luck and congrats.
    :D
     
  15. surfmonkey89 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    #15
    I paid attention.

    I've paid enough attention to Apple to know that they say "It'll never happen" right up until it happens, at which point they deny they said it would never happen. :)
     
  16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #16
    *coughFireWire400cough* :(
     
  17. surfmonkey89 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    #17
    Yea, I've been researching this all day and even went to the store to check it out. I think it's just time to bite the bullet and start enjoying using one instead of agonizing over whether to buy one :)
     
  18. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2009
    #18
    Just picked up my 15" the other night. Best thing I have ever done. :D And like everyone is saying. There are always going to be updates. Its technology and its constantly moving forward. No one can keep up and if you can you have a boat load of cash
     
  19. Vancouvercanuck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #19
    Soon your regrets will be USB 3.0, blu-ray.
     
  20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

    dissdnt

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    #20
    USB yah, blue-ray i dont think you'll ever see it in any Apple product.
     
  21. jctevere macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2009
    #21
    That's exactly what I am waiting for... I get by using my 2 desktop computers and my brothers unibody macbook and don't really need a notebook yet; as cool as it may be, its not a necessity. Therefore, I am going to wait until USB 3 and blu-ray become standard in the macbook pro to buy it. I realize this may take a while... especially for USB 3, but I can wait, whats the rush... I think that USB 3 is a big enough upgrade where if I bought it now I would be kicking myself in the face later on when it came out and I saw the icon (this device can perform faster by connecting it to a USB 3.0 port!) if I run windows... I absolutely hate it when it pops up on my old thinkpad (runs off a/c power -> have no battery, lol) that still runs very fast, but makes me feel that its very out dated... So I would wait forever for that... Does anyone have any idea how long this may take? about a year? lol
     
  22. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #22
    It's a $200 upgrade, but you lose warranty on the display.
     

Share This Page